You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-28 12:04:49

CarlD

[SOLVED] UEFI Grub: --bootloader-id question

Hi All,

For those in the know, can anyone tell me that problems would be caused by installing Grub on UEFI systems with the following command:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=$esp --bootloader-id=boot --recheck

As far as I am aware, the --bootloader-id=boot parameter would just place the grubx64.efi stub in $esp/EFI/boot. Renaming the stub bootx64.efi should then ensure that this should work on the broadest range of firmware possible. I've tested this several times, with no issues.

However it seems the current recommended method is to list the bootloader-id as "arch_grub" and then copying the grub efi stub from $esp/EFI/arch_grub over to $esp/EFI/boot. Is there any reason why this would be preferable?

Carl

Last edited by CarlD (2014-09-28 18:29:53)

#2 2014-09-28 18:29:40

CarlD

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI Grub: --bootloader-id question

Oh, well. As usual I'll answer my own question for the benefit of others!

The above command won't really cause any problems. It is just recommended that the grub .efi stub be placed in a folder that uses the vendor name in order to avoid any clashes (e.g. hence "arch_grub" is the recommended bootloader id). This is because some firmware can deal with multiple bootloaders, and will allow a choice of them. To do this, obviously they cannot all have the same .efi stub in the same location.

Board footer