You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-03 07:34:33

warm

[Solved] Installing on board with serial console only interface

I'm trying to install archlinux on pcengines APU board. I have made bootable USB flash as usual and trying to boot APU with serial console connected. Serial console on APU has speed 115200 and it cannot be changed AFAIK. So when the boot process begins fron the USB flash I see some amount of square symbols and then consile freezes. This can mean that the console speed has changed or syslinux from installation media is not configured to work with serial console at all. Freezing happens to fast and I'm not able to change speed of my terminal to see if a problem is on speed changing or not.

Then I tried to PXE boot and it was the same result: there were some squrare symbols and then console was freezed.

Hardware seems fine -- buildin on APU memtest is running and I also tried to boot OpenWRT for x86 on this board with success.

So I would like to install Arch on this board on mSATA drive. I have no mSATA yet but I even cannot boot this board with installation media.

Pleace help :-)

Last edited by warm (2014-10-03 09:10:38)

#2 2014-10-03 08:26:23

warm

Re: [Solved] Installing on board with serial console only interface

Ohh ... the board has fixed speed at 115200 but the arch installer has speed 38400 :-). So the solution to see boot menu (at this point) is next:

1. Make a bootable flash with installation source
2. Connect to board at 115200 and setup it to boot from USB1 or USB2 and disable netboot (save settings!)
3. Exit the terminat and start it again at 38400 speed
4. Reboot the board by power and wait for arch boot process

I have not installed Arch yet ...

After that need press TAB at boot menu at Arch x86_64 and append parameter to the kernel cmd " console=ttyS0,38400n8" -- first space to separate parameters and last speed to get current terminal settings without onemoor speed switching

Last edited by warm (2014-10-03 08:37:08)

Board footer