You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-05 02:13:04

davermont

efibootmgr adds entry, but it is not a boot option

I'm trying to add a boot manager entry to NVRAM via efibootmgr and I'm having the same problem with gummiboot and rEFInd (the problem isn't related to the boot manager). Let me first say that the default installation of gummiboot works fine. However, when I try to manually add an entry via efibootmgr using

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l /EFI/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi -L "gummiboot" 

the entry does show up in efibootmgr, but it is not listed as a boot option in either the BIOS or the boot options list. I suspect the issue is that my ESP is mounted at /boot instead of /boot/efi. Has anyone encountered this problem? Clearly there is a way to make it work since "gummiboot install" worked and created a "Linux boot manager" option.

Thanks
D

#2 2014-10-05 02:58:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: efibootmgr adds entry, but it is not a boot option

I  mount my ESP at /boot and gummiboot has no issue with it. Is your ESP marked for boot?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-10-05 03:05:28

davermont

As I stated, gummiboot works fine out of the box. It doesn't show up as a boot option if I add it manually to the NVRAM via efibootmgr. I am essentially trying to rename the entry that was placed in NVRAM by gummiboot install.

Last edited by davermont (2014-10-05 03:06:55)

#4 2014-10-06 13:17:53

v1rous

What is the output of

efibootmgr -v

after a default install and after your manual entry? Perhaps that will hint at why the manual entry is failing

#5 2014-10-06 20:08:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

davermont wrote:

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Yes, my firmware started failing to register new entries correctly after I had filled up the first 8 entries (experimenting with EFISTUB booting).
It defaults back to the original (thankfully correct) 2 entries I first made after the firmware ("BIOS") options are changed...
I have had to change to gummiboot for ease of use. I still have to re-install it every time I select "Legacy" mode booting.
hmm

Board footer