You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-05 20:55:36

Spara06
Website

Issues with network connectivity in Arch Linux Live USB

Hello everybody, I'm trying to install Arch Linux from a Live USB, however I'm having an issue getting a network connection. I've tried the instructions in the "Beginners' Guide" over on the Arch Wiki but they don't seem to work -- I can't even ping my own default gateway sad Then, I look at the output of the 'ip link' command and see this after my interface:

<NO-CARRIER>

Apparently, this means the network cable is unplugged however, I know the network cable is good, I just finished reformating my computer (earlier it was working on Windows) and I've managed to get several other Linux distros to work fine on this machine. Does anyone know what I could do? I know this machine has a Realtek NIC if that helps.

Thanks!

Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

#2 2014-10-05 21:04:35

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Issues with network connectivity in Arch Linux Live USB

Could you find your network card in the output of lspci -nn and tell us what are the make and model of your network interface.  Include the two 16 bit hexadecimal numbers inside the brackets that are separated by colon.  Some Realtek NICs are problematic (and there are a few threads around here that address them)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-10-05 21:11:05

Spara06
Website

ewaller wrote:

Could you find your network card in the output of lspci -nn and tell us what are the make and model of your network interface.  Include the two 16 bit hexadecimal numbers inside the brackets that are separated by colon.  Some Realtek NICs are problematic (and there are a few threads around here that address them)

Thanks for your response ewaller, here's the information on the Ethernet controller:

Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)

#4 2014-10-05 21:34:41

ewaller
Administrator

Have you installed r8168 from community? This thread seems to indicate that might solve the issue.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2014-10-05 21:41:18

Spara06
Website

ewaller wrote:

Have you installed r8168 from community? This thread seems to indicate that might solve the issue.

No, I haven't tried that because it's a Live USB and I'm trying to just install Arch, haha.
Will it work within the live environement? It's tough though since I don't really have internet access so I'm not sure how I'd install it.

Last edited by Spara06 (2014-10-05 21:42:45)

#6 2014-10-05 21:56:52

ewaller
Administrator

Sorry, I thought you had a working system.  There are a couple things you can do, but I have a favorite work around.  Do you have a smart phone that you can USB tether? And have you a wifi connection you can use?  If so, you can connect the phone via USB, associate the phone with the wireless network, turn on USB tethering on the phone.  You should then be able to use your wifi connection through your phone by treating it as a wired connection on your system.  The nice thing is that you don't end up using your 3g/4g data.  With this setup, you can install the entire OS and install from the Internet.

---

#7 2014-10-05 22:47:10

Spara06
Website

ewaller wrote:

Sorry, I thought you had a working system.  There are a couple things you can do, but I have a favorite work around.  Do you have a smart phone that you can USB tether? And have you a wifi connection you can use?  If so, you can connect the phone via USB, associate the phone with the wireless network, turn on USB tethering on the phone.  You should then be able to use your wifi connection through your phone by treating it as a wired connection on your system.  The nice thing is that you don't end up using your 3g/4g data.  With this setup, you can install the entire OS and install from the Internet.

It's ok, no problem. Yeah, I have an Android phone and a WiFi connection I could use. How would I go about telling the Live environment that I want to use the USB device as a network device?

#8 2014-10-05 23:00:33

ewaller
Administrator

If you attach it in USB tether mode, it will appear in the output of ip link.  Here is my system without a tethered phone, and again with.  Note that it grew a new wired interface.  All you have to do at that point is run dhcpcd as root (on a live CD environment, you are root.)

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1023 %ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:23:5a:40:e1:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:21:00:d9:45:47 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1024 %ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:23:5a:40:e1:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:21:00:d9:45:47 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: enp0s29f7u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ae:e0:e1:01:95:3e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
ewaller$@$odin ~ 1025 %

---

#9 2014-10-05 23:01:32

Spara06
Website

Spara06 wrote:
ewaller wrote:

It's ok, no problem. Yeah, I have an Android phone and a WiFi connection I could use. How would I go about telling the Live environment that I want to use the USB device as a network device?

Nevermind, I've got it working via dhcp! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! I'll let you know if I have any trouble after the install, I assume I'll have to install that package from the community repo, which is no problem. Thanks again!

Board footer