You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-06 01:25:57

Spara06
Website

A few issues upon completing my installation of Arch

Recently, I installed Arch Linux in a dual boot with Windows. I just finished the install but I'm having a few problems that I'd like to fix (since I really love the OS!). The first thing, I've installed the nvidia drivers and when I boot the computer, the two monitors (I have a dual monitor setup) are in the wrong order. I invert them in nvidia-settings but on a reboot, it doesn't save the changes. The second thing is that it doesn't pick up my microphone not really sure why but I have no clue where to start with this problem. The third problem I'm having is that my network interface fails to come up automatically (I tried setting up both a static and dhcp profile with netctl) -- It works fine if I bring it up manually with ip link. If I look at the error it says the interface isn't up, but if I bring it up with ip link, when I try and start the profile it says the interface is up. So how do I fix the problem? I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me so I can keep enjoying this great OS smile

Thanks!

Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

#2 2014-10-06 01:38:56

lagagnon
Website

Re: A few issues upon completing my installation of Arch

-for the monitors see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nv … e_monitors
-for the mic problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … hone_input (it's probably just a matter of unmuting the mic in alsamixer)
-for the network you probably need to enable the dhcpcd.service in systemd: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh … interfaces

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2014-10-06 01:39:21

ewaller
Administrator

See, that was easy smile

I take it you got the Realtek NIC from the other thread working.   Generally you should keep it to one problem per thread.  I know nothing of nvidia-settings, but I would use xrandr in any one of the scripts that get started when you start xorg.  As to the microphone, is it muted and are you using PulseAudio?  The tools you will want will be amixer, alsamixer, and pavucontrol (if you are using PulseAudio).  I suggest you take either of those on in a separate thread.

As to the network, do you want a static or dynamic setup?  Can  you post your netctl configurations and also tell us what services you have enabled using systemctl.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-10-06 02:28:41

Spara06
Website

lagagnon wrote:

-for the monitors see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nv … e_monitors
-for the mic problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … hone_input (it's probably just a matter of unmuting the mic in alsamixer)
-for the network you probably need to enable the dhcpcd.service in systemd: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh … interfaces

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at those wiki pages! smile

ewaller wrote:

See, that was easy smile
I take it you got the Realtek NIC from the other thread working.   Generally you should keep it to one problem per thread.  I know nothing of nvidia-settings, but I would use xrandr in any one of the scripts that get started when you start xorg.  As to the microphone, is it muted and are you using PulseAudio?  The tools you will want will be amixer, alsamixer, and pavucontrol (if you are using PulseAudio).  I suggest you take either of those on in a separate thread.
As to the network, do you want a static or dynamic setup?  Can  you post your netctl configurations and also tell us what services you have enabled using systemctl.

Hey Ewaller, yeah I got the Realtek NIC working but not the way I want. I need to manually start it everytime -- I'm trying to use a static IP address and I'd like to use netctl. Here's my netctl profile for said interface:

Description='Wired Connection'
Interface=enp4s0
Connection=ethernet
IP=static
Address=('192.168.0.23/24')
Gateway='192.168.0.1'
DNS=('192.168.0.1')

Sorry, I just wasn't sure. I didn't want to flood the forum with posts, haha. From now on I'll try and keep one topic per thread. Sorry! I'll take the nvidia and microphone posts to seperate threads. smile

#5 2014-10-06 02:57:11

ewaller
Administrator

Is the Realtek kernel module loading at boot time? Or are you having to modprobe the module? 
What is the name of that profile? Is it in /etc/netctl ? Did you do a systemctl enable WhateverYourProfileFileIsCalled  ?

And, just as a sanity check, are working from this wiki article  ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2014-10-06 03:17:02

Spara06
Website

ewaller wrote:

Is the Realtek kernel module loading at boot time? Or are you having to modprobe the module? 
What is the name of that profile? Is it in /etc/netctl ? Did you do a systemctl enable WhateverYourProfileFileIsCalled  ?

And, just as a sanity check, are working from this wiki article  ?

A quick lsmod reveals that yeah, the r8168 module is loaded without me having probed it. The profile is named enp4s0, after the network device's name. Yes, it's under the /etc/netctl directory. I'm enabling it using the netctl enable enp4s0

Yes, I've had that article opened pretty much all night, haha.

Going to try a few more things and I'll report back.

#7 2014-10-06 03:27:50

Spara06
Website

So, if I try and manually start the profile I get this error:

Oct 05 23:22:38 arch network[4094]: Starting network profile 'enp4s0'...
Oct 05 23:22:43 arch network[4094]: No connection found on interface 'enp4s0' (timeout)
Oct 05 23:22:43 arch network[4094]: Failed to bring the network up for profile 'enp4s0'
Oct 05 23:22:43 arch systemd[1]: netctl@enp4s0.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 05 23:22:43 arch systemd[1]: Failed to start Networking for netctl profile enp4s0.
Oct 05 23:22:43 arch systemd[1]: Unit netctl@enp4s0.service entered failed state.

If I try and turn on the interface using ip link set enp4s0 up, I get this error:

Oct 05 23:21:46 arch network[4063]: Starting network profile 'enp4s0'...
Oct 05 23:21:46 arch network[4063]: The interface of network profile 'enp4s0' is already up
Oct 05 23:21:46 arch systemd[1]: netctl@enp4s0.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 05 23:21:46 arch systemd[1]: Failed to start Networking for netctl profile enp4s0.
Oct 05 23:21:46 arch systemd[1]: Unit netctl@enp4s0.service entered failed state.

What I'm doing is just typing this:

ip link set enp4s0 up
ip addr add 192.168.0.23/24 dev enp4s0
ip route add default via 192.168.0.1

And it works that way. Hopefully, some of this information was useful, haha.

Board footer