You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-07 20:16:08

mahkoe

Dual Boot with Win8 on UEFI with SSHD

Hi folks!

I have a Lenovo Y40 laptop which currently has Windows 8.1 preloaded, which I unfortunately have to keep for a host of reasons. I've been meaning to install linux on my laptop for a while though, and now I finally have the time. However, I've been doing some research, and there are just too many things I don't understand that are keeping me from just jumping in and installing "on the fly".

Here's where my problems are:

This laptop has a hybrid drive in it, specifically the WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD (I copied this out of the device manager), and I hear linux has problems with that? Also, this laptop uses UEFI, which I have zero experience with. Lastly, I have no idea which of the many preloaded partitions (listed below) are necessary for windows 8 to boot and function properly.

List of my partitions:

• Two partitions labeled "Recovery Partition" in the disk manager (one 1GB and the other 15.64 GB)

• The EFI partition

• A partition labeled "OEM Partition"

• The partition my C:\ drive is on

• This absurd 25 GB partition with the name "LENOVO" which is mounted as D:/ and has folders named "Applications" and "Drivers"

So basically, I simply do not know how to install arch (or linux in general) on this kind of a system. I'm really hoping someone can generously give up some of their time to maybe send a few links and some basic steps to get this installation procedure going.

Thanks!

P.S. I have installed Arch before, but on a BIOS system with "normal" MBR-formatted hard drives. I'm pretty good with Linux, so you can assume a fair amount of previous knowledge.

#2 2014-10-07 20:51:24

mcloaked

Re: Dual Boot with Win8 on UEFI with SSHD

Is this thread any help to you? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177356

Mike C

#3 2014-10-07 21:03:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Dual Boot with Win8 on UEFI with SSHD

mahkoe wrote:

This laptop has a hybrid drive in it, specifically the WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD (I copied this out of the device manager), and I hear linux has problems with that?

Sounds unlikely; what problems? Where did you hear this?

As for your partitions: shrink the C: partition (from Windows, defrag first) & mount /boot to the EFI partition (ie share this partition with Windows).
Leave all the other partitions intact.

Just follow the Beginner's Guide, it includes details pertaining to installing UEFI systems.

Board footer