You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-08 10:47:15

filippo

[SOLVED] Unable to boot ISO on USB

Hello,

I'm unable to boot from USB. I have the following error : "Failed to install override security policy: (14) Not Found".
I tried the following solution : http://superuser.com/a/676059

But then my computer does not want to boot on the USB. I don't have any option for UEFI on my computer's BIOS (ASUS eeepc). Note that I don't want a dual boot with Windows and there is currently a broken archlinux installation on my hard drive.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Thanks. :-)

Last edited by filippo (2014-10-08 16:37:15)

#2 2014-10-08 12:50:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to boot ISO on USB

How did you originally make the usb.  Did you follow the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#3 2014-10-08 13:59:08

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

This may be caused by buggy uefi firmware, check if there is a new one for your card.

Also in some cases it can be caused by fastboot/similar so check for that too in the bios.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2014-10-08 14:00:30)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2014-10-08 15:03:01

filippo

Trilby wrote:

How did you originally make the usb.  Did you follow the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO

Yes, I used :

dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdb && sync

And for creating the ISO (after copying the file for the workaround) :

genisoimage -iso-level 4 -o archlinux.iso archlinux
Mr.Elendig wrote:

This may be caused by buggy uefi firmware, check if there is a new one for your card.

Also in some cases it can be caused by fastboot/similar so check for that too in the bios.

I don't have an option for last boot. I'll check for a new uefi firmware !

EDIT: How do I check for that ?

I have an option on the BIOS "Launch EFIT Shell from filesystem" which search for Shellx64.efi on the available filesystem devices. However, it is calle shellx64_v1.efi and shellx64_v2.efi on the archlinux iso. May be this be a problem ?
Anyway, it's strange, the last time I installed Archlinux this eeepc (more than one year ago...) I didn't had any problem !

Last edited by filippo (2014-10-08 15:19:46)

#5 2014-10-08 15:28:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I've rarely needed UEFI bootable usb's (twice that I can recall) but I just followed the archwiki that I linked to and it worked perfectly.  I'm confused by your response, though: you say "yes" to following the link I provided, then you elaborate on what you did that is not at all similar to what is in the link.

There certainly may be more than one way to set up a UEFI bootable usb, but it seems you have not followed the method in the archwiki.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#6 2014-10-08 15:35:21

filippo

Trilby wrote:

I've rarely needed UEFI bootable usb's (twice that I can recall) but I just followed the archwiki that I linked to and it worked perfectly.  I'm confused by your response, though: you say "yes" to following the link I provided, then you elaborate on what you did that is not at all similar to what is in the link.

There certainly may be more than one way to set up a UEFI bootable usb, but it seems you have not followed the method in the archwiki.

The link you provided has a link to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … otable_USB where I got the command in the first place ! Isn't that what I'm supposed to do ?

I don't know if UEFI is supported on the computer...how can I check that ? How do I do to install Archlinux in this case ?

Thanks for your help.

#7 2014-10-08 15:37:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oops!  Sincere appologies, I seem to be making a fool of myself here.  It seems that page has been revised and the steps that were previously recommended are no longer there - perhaps the isos have been revised so those steps are no longer needed.

Sorry for the noise - carry on.

#8 2014-10-08 16:25:43

filippo

I tried installing grub on the media instead of the default loader, with the following grub.cfg :

set timeout=5
menuentry "Evolution" {
linux /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=Evo_201410 rw
initrd /arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
}

But I still got the same error (both with evolution and archlinux isos)...

EDIT: using grub + copying loader.efi to bootx64.efi solved the problem. I guess I wasn't building the iso right, so raw copying the files to the usb key filesystem and then installing grub solved the problem !

Last edited by filippo (2014-10-08 16:36:45)

Board footer