You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-13 06:46:47

pyarch

Recommended layouts for xmonad

I would like to know some good layouts for xmonad to handle multiple applications(~5).
Also I would like to know a good work flow which makes xmonad experience better because every now and then I find myself getting back to kde.

#2 2014-10-13 09:41:13

dice

Re: Recommended layouts for xmonad

It's hard to give you an answer to this. It depends mostly on personal choice.
Regarding the layouts, try them and choose. Which Layout is is suitable also depends on the kind of applications you're running.
I am switching between layout quite often, because another situation needs another layout.
I suggest you should fiddle around and see what's working good for you.

It's difficult to describe a "good" workflow, but if you tell us what makes you switch back to kde we probably could make suggestions to improve things.
Also, there is no rule that as an xmonad user you are not allowed to use other WMs wink
When I started using xmonad I switched to cinnamon quite often until I felt comfortable xmonad and my setup.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#3 2014-10-13 13:27:49

drcouzelis
Website

Use the xmonad layout that makes it behave like KDE! smile

...wait, if you like KDE then why don't you use KDE?

#4 2014-10-13 16:09:02

pyarch

dice wrote:

It's hard to give you an answer to this. It depends mostly on personal choice.
Regarding the layouts, try them and choose. Which Layout is is suitable also depends on the kind of applications you're running.
I am switching between layout quite often, because another situation needs another layout.
I suggest you should fiddle around and see what's working good for you.

It's difficult to describe a "good" workflow, but if you tell us what makes you switch back to kde we probably could make suggestions to improve things.
Also, there is no rule that as an xmonad user you are not allowed to use other WMs wink
When I started using xmonad I switched to cinnamon quite often until I felt comfortable xmonad and my setup.

Things that make me want to go back to KDE :
- At times like stacking ( not always though), actually more than stacking its just that sometimes I like some applications to open in their default window size.
-Bluetooth works on KDE
- Mounting my other partitions is fairly a painless process.
- haven't found a good way to handle 4+ windows at a time on xmonad.

The reason I dont want KDE is I dont like having the entire KDE suite and also KDE uses like 700mb right after startup where as xmonad uses just 180.
Why I want to use xmonad:
-I like tiling windows
- LIke using keyboard ( primarily because the touchpad on my hp sucks and synaptic acts way too sensitively on linux)
- like keeping my laptop lean( in terms of idle ram usage)

Last edited by pyarch (2014-10-13 16:16:11)

Board footer