You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-15 22:11:50

Convergence

Incomplete Install After Following Beginner's Guide [solved]

If you look at my join date, I've been here longer than most (absolutely not a claim to being a guru or anything, in fact in many ways, I'm still a n00b) , but this latest install was... interesting, to say the least.  (wel, it's still ongoing)

cd image: 2014 10.1

I used the beginner's guide because there have been significant changes to the install process in recent years.  Everything was going well until I rebooted, and there were no entries in grub.  After thinking about it a bit, I wondered if there were no entries because mkgrub-config (I automatically generate grub.config) couldn't find a kernel.  So I booted back into the install media, chrooted into my new install, and lo and behold, there was not kernel installed (yes I did use pacstrap to install both base and base-devel and used the "all" option)

This might not be a problem with pacstrap, or with the beginner's guide, but with the way that these meta packages are arranged, I don't know. 

So I installed a kernel, generated grub again, and rebooted, to get the old "you're on your own, pal" message, because init wasn't found. So, I rebooted back to the livecd , installed sysv-compat, and full of optimism "this is finally over with!" booted back into my new install.  Still no good!  For some as yet unknown reason, I can't use pacman to download packages.  (Failed retrieving error)  I know that I setup my network during during the install process, so my first instinct is to ping my router.  No good!  Ping isn't installed either!

I know that there are other steps I can take to find out what my network problem is,  (if that's what it is), but I think that something has gone wrong if ping isn't installed during the install process, let alone the kernel.  And isn't sysv-init unnecessary these days?  I can probably solve these, and as yet unknown problems that will almost certainly arrive when I fix those, but I am running out of time, so I'm writing this post instead.  Did I miss something?  Is it just me?  Or is the install process broken?

Last edited by Convergence (2014-10-16 23:33:06)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2014-10-15 22:54:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Incomplete Install After Following Beginner's Guide [solved]

Everything you describe sounds like symptoms of partitions not being properly mounted.  How is your drive partitioned?  What is in your fstab?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-10-15 23:23:35

Convergence

Trilby wrote:

Everything you describe sounds like symptoms of partitions not being properly mounted.  How is your drive partitioned?  What is in your fstab?

Do you mean how were the drives mounted during install, or during boot?  Both? 

Thanks for responding!

My drive setup is kind of confusing, but /dev/sda1 is / and /dev/sdc1 is /home.  I don't use a separate /boot partition.  During install, I verified that I was mounting the correct partions/drives before using 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt /bin/bash' and used a similar command to mount /home inside of the already mounted /.  During the install process, I used 'genfstab -L >> /etc/fstab', (this command was new to me) or something like it.  I verified that the generated fstab looked sane to me (that the boot order was correct, it used the proper labels).

Now, in my new install, "df" shows that /dev/sda1 is root (as it should be), and that sdc1 is /home (also as it should be). 

mtab says (among other things) "/dev/sda1 / ext4 rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode620,ptmxmode=000 0 0"  (there may be a typo because I'm typing this on my wife's laptop)  the options listed for sdc1 are /hom ext4 rw,relatime,data-=ordered 0 0   

My fstab entries look something like this:  LABEL=rooty / ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1 

My directory tree seems to be in order, /bin has binaries in it, /home has all my old files in it.

Does that answer your question?

---  William Murderface

#4 2014-10-15 23:33:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Convergence wrote:

Does that answer your question?

Mostly, yes.  Seeing the actual files/output rather than a description would be more water-tight, but it looks like my suspicion can be ruled out - particularly if there isn't a separate boot partition.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-10-16 00:24:14

mcmillan

Some of the other issues sound like base may not have been completely installed properly, and your title is a bit incomplete. If you can open up your pacman log it should start with what was installed with the first use of pacstrap. Things it sounds like you might be missing are iputils (for ping and some other functions) - to get your network up you might also need iproute2 and if you need to bring up wireless manually there's some additional packages that unfortunately I haven't had to use.  For init you need systemd-sysvcompat, though technically I think you can get a booting system without it, just using a bit more non-default options. All but possibily the wireless should have been installed by base

#6 2014-10-16 02:24:05

Convergence

That's what I was thinking.  I have some of the packages that should come with "base" but not all.  I got no errors when I ran the script, I didn't watch carefully, I just took it for granted.  That's why earlier, I chrooted from the install medium again, and ran "pacman -Sy base".  It reinstalled a bunch of packages, but then it installed some new packages, like popt, cryptsetup, dhcpcd (stuff that should have been installed the first time I installed "base).  Is it possible that I just caught a server at a bad time?

edit: I should be clear, I'm still having the problem.  I can't start my (wired, not wireless) netctl profile because, according to 'journalctl -xn' I'm still missing dependencies. 

-- unit netctl@wiredNet.service has failed.
--
-- The result is dependency

Oh yeah, when I installed netctl (from chroot), pacman included systemd as a dependency.  What?!  Systemd wasn't installed?

Last edited by Convergence (2014-10-16 02:34:29)

---  William Murderface

#7 2014-10-16 23:31:07

Convergence

I gave up and re-installed.  The mystery wasn't solved, but the problem was resolved, so I'll mark this [solved].  Thanks for the help guys.

---  William Murderface

Board footer