You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-15 21:52:38

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

devfs all is forgiven

Read the news at last I see why I have had problems with Udev...

Everything seems fine now, so why do these things happen ?

With Linux (& Arch) its a steep learning curve but over the years I have learnt not to panic look at the problem then post on forum let phrature sort it out lol

It can be a problem if your network card stops working, emm check wiring is it turned on ping router etc...

Never mind Archie to the rescue

Do something right for once get yourself a good liveCD (something you like!)

No need to reinstall get upset wipe drives ... reboot into a liveCD & check everything out ... your lifeline to the outside world

Its not anyones fault as we are all part of a community, be part of the solution not part of the problem

my 2c

Mr Green

#2 2006-02-15 22:10:48

whargoul

Re: devfs all is forgiven

So True. Thanks for the words Mr Green. smile

Arch - It's something refreshing

#3 2006-02-15 23:20:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Why do these thigns happen?

The whole udev and hardware related userspace scene has been changing dramatically.

These are changes that have been needed for various reasons, and will, when it is all settled, result in a better experience for the user.

It should also be noted that Arch is the first distro to have the new setup, with most other distros waiting for kernel 2.6.16. So we've discovered the various toothing problems.

Change needs to happen. Devfs needed to be removed. It was becoming a hideous codebase, and nobody wanted to work on it and such, was also restrictive.

iphitus

#4 2006-02-16 00:13:27

Moparx
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Never mind Knoppix to the rescue

Do something right for once get yourself a good liveCD (something you like!)

No need to reinstall get upset wipe drives ... reboot into a liveCD & check

Keeping a live cd at hand is always a good idea for various reasons.

However, You don't really need one if you are comfortable with the CLI as you can use Arch's install cd as a rescue cd so you can mount your drive's paritions and tinker with the configuration files.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."

Arch Linux x86_64 | LiCo #213644 | blog / configs

#5 2006-02-16 00:26:09

ozar

Trained.Monkey's new minimax text live-cd shows great promise for a live-CD emgergency disk, too:

http://www.kotek.net/minimax

I especially like the part about it being based on Arch.

oz

#6 2006-02-16 00:31:52

Moparx
Website

ozar wrote:

Trained.Monkey's new minimax text live-cd shows great promise for a live-CD emgergency disk, too:

http://www.kotek.net/minimax

I especially like the part about it being based on Arch.

It looks like a decent 'rescue' live cd... I am going to download and play around with it after work tommorrow.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."

Arch Linux x86_64 | LiCo #213644 | blog / configs

#7 2006-02-16 00:58:18

ozar

Moparx wrote:

It looks like a decent 'rescue' live cd... I am going to download and play around with it after work tommorrow.

Yeah, it's quick and easy.  Just in case you've missed it, he's been posting about it in the User Contributions Forum:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=18775
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=18424

Have fun with it!

ozar  smile

oz

#8 2006-02-16 03:44:55

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Guys! What abut our own archie!

http://archie.dotsrc.org/

its a rescue/desktop/whatever capable CD, and is a full arch sys big_smile

iphitus

#9 2006-02-16 03:51:44

ozar

iphitus wrote:

iphitus

Hi, iphitus... yeah I've been playing with Archie for about a year now, but MiniMax is a 30 MB "text only" live-cd.  That makes it quite different from Archie.

oz

#10 2006-02-16 06:50:47

Cam
Website

I tried minimax but none of my disks showed up in /dev :?:

Anyways, Archie has too much stuff on it (ie: X) for a base rescue CD for what I'm after anyway. I spoke to the guy who made minimax and I'm going to see if I can get Arch installed in qemu and get it up like I want and use the scripts from linux-live.org to make my own big_smile If only I had some free time...

#11 2006-02-16 08:02:55

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus wrote:

iphitus

Dude I just put Knoppix as an example, Archie is the best LiveCD in the world!

/me edits post ;-)

Mr Green

#12 2006-02-16 08:25:29

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Cam wrote:

Anyways, Archie has too much stuff on it (ie: X) for a base rescue CD

Try mkliveiso create your own Archie, text based is around ~80mb

Add the packages you want 

Once booted into Archie you can of course use pacman as you would your own normal system ;-)

Mr Green

#13 2006-02-16 08:29:44

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Cam wrote:

I tried minimax but none of my disks showed up in /dev :?:

Anyways, Archie has too much stuff on it (ie: X) for a base rescue CD for what I'm after anyway. I spoke to the guy who made minimax and I'm going to see if I can get Arch installed in qemu and get it up like I want and use the scripts from linux-live.org to make my own big_smile If only I had some free time...

Use the archie scripts!

Archie is two things, the scripts, and the liveCD, a liveCD made with thos e scripts.

The scripts can be setup to include whatever you want, no x, whatever.

iphitus

#14 2006-02-16 09:07:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Does seem to me that many Arch users have not heard or know much about Archie

mkliveiso can create a custom Arch based iso in one command ... 8)

Archie Live CD ;-)

Mr Green

#15 2006-02-17 10:53:45

gradgrind

(Especially) to Cam:

I have been working on a linux-live based Arch live CD.

I can't remember now why I decided to go this way rather than with Archie, but there were reasons ...

Anyway, I've made some progress and have a set of working (for me!) scripts. The idea is, you select which packages you want - no special ones needed, just straight from the repos, and no worry about dependencies (well, not much) because pacman takes care of that.

Of course, some tweaks are necessary to suit individual needs and aspirations, but I think the basic structure is in place. I have recently been struggling to keep up with the rapid udev updates, but (assuming it doesn't change again!) it's looking quite good.

I have also been trying to document it all. That's not yet quite up to date with the latest versions (I can use a plain archck kernel now), but when I've done that, I hope to publish it somewhere - maybe the wiki.

If you'd like to have what I've done so far (glad to have feedback!), I could mail you a tarball of the main stuff (~500K). Of course, definitely no guarantees that it won't destroy your data, etc. (but mine is still intact).

#16 2006-02-17 11:48:34

brain0
Developer

gradgrind wrote:

I have also been trying to document it all. That's not yet quite up to date with the latest versions (I can use a plain archck kernel now), but when I've done that, I hope to publish it somewhere - maybe the wiki.

Publish it in the wiki, that would be nice. Even better, create a PKGBUILD for it (call it something like "live-cd-creator") and put it in the AUR. This would be a great project.

#17 2006-02-17 11:52:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

What is the problem with using mkliveiso scripts?

Mr Green

#18 2006-02-17 12:16:40

iphitus
Forum Fellow

gradgrind wrote:

(Especially) to Cam:

I have been working on a linux-live based Arch live CD.

I can't remember now why I decided to go this way rather than with Archie, but there were reasons ...

Anyway, I've made some progress and have a set of working (for me!) scripts. The idea is, you select which packages you want - no special ones needed, just straight from the repos, and no worry about dependencies (well, not much) because pacman takes care of that.

Of course, some tweaks are necessary to suit individual needs and aspirations, but I think the basic structure is in place. I have recently been struggling to keep up with the rapid udev updates, but (assuming it doesn't change again!) it's looking quite good.

If you'd like to have what I've done so far (glad to have feedback!), I could mail you a tarball of the main stuff (~500K). Of course, definitely no guarantees that it won't destroy your data, etc. (but mine is still intact).

I hate to say it... but your effort *sounds* like a duplication of the Archie scripts which have been linked to earlier in this thread.

iphitus

#19 2006-02-17 15:39:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

[split]

Mr Green

#20 2006-02-17 16:03:18

gradgrind

Yes, it does sound very much like Archie. It probably is very much like Archie! I'm afraid I really can't remember why I didn't like Archie - it might simply have been that I found the documentation inadequate, or that I had problems getting something working. It could have been the lack of - or dubious state of - an installer, or something connected with that. Maybe it wasn't clear enough how to customize some aspect? I'm only guessing. I must admit I haven't tried the scripts recently, so I don't know what the present state is. LinuxLive seemed to be a really clear and comprehensible starting point, and this seemed like a good opportunity to play around with it (though in the end, I changed quite a lot - going for initramfs and the new udev, for example).
Even if it is a duplication of effort, I have gained quite a bit of understanding of how the system works. Maybe there's also something useful in it for others - I'll try to get it in a suitable form for wiki and/or AUR.

Board footer