You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-18 20:08:06

Ekkoria

Compiz, GTK window decorator not getting along with metacity

Hello,

Today gtk-window-decorator managed to break on my machine, resulting in no window decorations. I'm using emerald as a temporary solution, but I'd prefer to go back to gtk-window-decorator if possible. When I start compiz, the following occurs:

gtk-window-decorator: error while loading shared libraries: libmetacity-private.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found some posts that suggested using metacity2 instead of metacity, but I'm using compiz-bzr from the AUR which lists metacity as a dependency which conflicts with metacity2. I tried downgrading metacity, but that didn't help. I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2014-10-19 10:19:00

LeCrayonVert

Re: Compiz, GTK window decorator not getting along with metacity

Hi !
Try to install the stable version of compiz, see https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/compiz/
It's maintained by the same person as the compiz-bzr package and it works out of the box. It depends on the old metacity2 package wink

I believe in a world I can and do understand. A rational universe, explained through rational means.

#3 2014-10-19 19:34:26

Ekkoria

Thanks for your help!
Installing the stable version of compiz got gtk-window-decorator working again, but now I have no minimize or maximize buttons on any gtk theme (only a close button), and gtk-window-decorator throws me

(gtk-window-decorator:23942): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type '(null)' in cast to 'WnckWindow'
gtk-window-decorator: Ignoring unknown or already-used button name "appmenu"

sad
EDIT: This problem was solved by running

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout "'menu:minimize,maximize,close'" 

for future reference to anyone who stumbles across this post. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Ekkoria (2014-10-19 20:36:48)

#4 2015-01-26 08:18:58

oxplot
Website

Ekkoria wrote:

EDIT: This problem was solved by running

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout "'menu:minimize,maximize,close'" 

for future reference to anyone who stumbles across this post. Thanks again for the help!

And thanks for your help. I'd like to report that this works in MATE as well. Out of curiosity, how did you come across this setting and why on earth was it "appmenu:close" by default?!!

#5 2015-01-26 13:24:00

Ekkoria

I found that setting after some Googling around about buttons. Turns out appmenu is a gnome-specific button, and since gnome doesn't have minimize buttons anymore,  it was appmenu:close.

Board footer