You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-27 20:36:51

lmnsqshr

[SOLVED] Help me install Arch on my W540

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install ArchLinux on my Lenovo W540. I've installed Arch on so many other Notebooks and desktop computers before but they all had a non UEFI Bios. This one is a bit tricky.
I dd'ed the arch iso on my usb and booted it up.
The result is a freeze during booting from the usb: http://i.imgur.com/hUMT36E.jpg

Can anyone help me install Arch on my W540? Or tell me what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

--lmnsqshr

Last edited by lmnsqshr (2014-10-29 20:37:33)

#2 2014-10-29 20:37:12

lmnsqshr

Re: [SOLVED] Help me install Arch on my W540

Ok, I got a solution but this will probably piss off some people googling for "how to install Arch Linux on Lenovo W540" because it's not a reproducable solution (sorry).

TL;DR: USB flash drive was corrupt.

After booting from the USB, I changed the boot parameters of the x86_64 entry and added a "nomodeset". This would prevent the graphical drivers from loading, because the problem was apparantly with the nouveau-module.
The live system booted and I got to the point where I partitioned my SSD. The command "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1" got me some I/O errors so I thought the USB flash drive might be corrupted (it was pretty old).

I dd'ed the arch iso on a new USB flash drive which somehow could load the nouveau module without any problems. And now I'm running my beloved Arch on my W540.

/EDIT: I just remembered that I also disabled the integrated card reader in the BIOS.

Last edited by lmnsqshr (2014-10-29 20:49:01)

Board footer