You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-17 20:16:38

vilwarin

BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0

I had some problems with some evil superblocks (see some posts below wink ), but I fixed that by updating fdsik and compiling a new kernel (2.6.15).

The problem is gone, it booted, but I noticed that something must have gone wrong with my modules, cause there was no module folder in /lib/modules

So I recompiled the kernel again, watching every step carefully.
Ok Modules are there and are loaded.

Now i'm stuck with another error, but I can't track it to a reason.
The boot process is interrupted after a ceratin amaount of time, by this message:

BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0

The place in the boot-up process, where it appears is not fixed, only the time after it appears is constant. It first appeared when boot tried to initialize the CUPS daemon, so I used a rescue disc and disabled cups.
Now it appears some steps after that.

Has anyone ideas, what could cause this?
And by the way, I also'd like to know, what it means. I checked google, but found only stuff, which I could not relate to my problem.

thank you
michi

#2 2006-02-18 19:11:42

vilwarin

Re: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0

I recompiled the kernel, this time 2.6.15.4

and it at least booted one time correctly, but now the same error occurs every time I want to boot.

I suspect it could be a Bug that occurs between my w-lan card and kernel oprions SMP and PREEMPT.
So last time I had a proper system, I compiled a kernel without these two. But with the 2.6.15.X Kernels I have no idea where to turn them off. There are no entries in the Makefile that seem to be associated with SMP and PREEMPT.

Please don't leave me alone here sad

#3 2006-02-18 19:28:50

kth5
Website

why don't you simply modify .config?

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#4 2006-02-19 06:26:40

vilwarin

thx I somehow got it mixed up with the Makefile :[

now it works, but for the ATI drivers smile

Board footer