You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-28 21:41:56

chronozphere

[grub2] symbol "grub_real_boot_time" not found

Hey arch experts,

I have a very nasty problem which persists after many hours of troubleshooting. My server running arch refuses to boot. Grub2 gives:

error: symbol 'grub_real_boot_time' not found.
entering rescue mode...

Some background info. I have a 2 HDD's in RAID1. All partitions except the boot partition are managed by LVM. I installed grub to the MBR of /dev/sda. /dev/md1 is my RAID1 boot partition.

When I issue "insmod normal", I get the very same error. I suppose that normal.mod can be found and it's just the symbol that is missing.

I have reinstalled grub multiple times (downgraded as well) from within a chroot. After reinstalling, I always ran:

grub-install --target=i386 --recheck --debug /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

grub-mkconfig typically gives me a lot of errors related to lvmetad.

/run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed. no such file or directory.

These errors go away if I make /run/lvm from my host environment available in the chroot, so that grub-mkconfig can access /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket. It doesn't fix the original problem though, so I guess this error is not critical. (This approach is described here).

It also gives me some errors in the following form:

File descriptor 6 (/run/systemd/sessions/c1.ref) leaked on vgs invocation. Parent ID 1274: /usr/bin/grub-probe

However, it finishes with "done".

I added "GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y" to /etc/default/grub, but that didn't help. It did change the error though (At this point, the symbol grub_term_highlight_color appeared to be missing). After chrooting and reinstalling grub, I got back to my original error.

I also downloaded the 10_archlinux file provided here and placed it in /etc/grub.d. Afterwards I executed grub-mkconfig again. No luck.

Can someone please enlighten me? I don't understand grub that well and I'm utterly lost at this point!

Last edited by chronozphere (2014-10-28 22:26:20)

Board footer