You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-31 02:07:02

mindcrime

[solved] virtualbox headless question

I want to run a separate small distro of Linux in Virtual Box (of course, Arch is the host) for testing and securely browsing parts of the web, but I don't want to install Qt4 for just the Virtual Box GUI program, so I turn to the headless option.

However, I am a bit confused. Can headless mode be used to run a graphical distro of Linux with Xorg, or is it used to run a CLI-based guest OS? Also, the only resources I can find for headless mode specifically target remote VM usage; I don't want that. I want a local, graphical VM (with the virtual hard drive stored on my hard drive and everything...) that I can configure and launch without the Qt dependency required by Virtual Box's GUI.

Do I have the wrong idea here?

Thanks.

Edit: I want to point out, I have done a bit of research and read the Virtual Box documentation so if there is something obvious there, I'm just an idiot and missed it. I haven't come straight to the forums without being proactive.

Last edited by mindcrime (2014-10-31 02:32:43)

Arch user since August 2014.
Currently flirting with BSPWM ~\\~ CLI enthusiast.
Also currently building an Arch desktop PC. Suggestions welcome!
Please excuse occasional beginner questions.

#2 2014-10-31 02:17:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] virtualbox headless question

It's been a while since I was using it, but you definitely can run virtualbox without the toolkit dependencies and run a full distro just as you describe.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-10-31 02:22:12

mindcrime

Trilby wrote:

It's been a while since I was using it, but you definitely can run virtualbox without the toolkit dependencies and run a full distro just as you describe.

Alright; good to know, that means that there must be some resource online that I will eventually find to aid me.

Thanks, Trilby.

If anyone has anything describing the general process, that'd be great. As I said I can't find much that don't assume you are working with a remote server...

#4 2014-10-31 02:24:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What's wrong with our wiki, that's what I followed - there's nothing to it.  Install the packages, and start it up.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-10-31 02:30:47

mindcrime

Trilby wrote:

What's wrong with our wiki, that's what I followed - there's nothing to it.  Install the packages, and start it up.

There is nothing much about configuring a VM using the headless mode as far as I can tell.

The other day, however, I did run VBoxHeadless whose output at the time made no sense to me because it was before most of my research, so maybe I should try that again...

derp

I should have tried that again. I'll figure it out now. Sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks.

Last edited by mindcrime (2014-10-31 02:31:33)

Board footer