You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-31 16:41:52

chosentorture

Internet connection issues during archlinux installation [SOLVED]

I access the Internet on a LAN via Ethernet which is moderated by my university web proxy server. This means that I can access the Internet only after I have entered my login credentials on a redirected URL page in a browser (after plugging the Ethernet cable).

All traffic is redirected to 10.10.10.2/auth.html after I plug in the Ethernet cable and I have to enter my login credentials
After the login, a popup offers a 300 minute connection and I can access the Internet.

How would I connect to the Internet (using CLI) during the archlinux installation?

Last edited by chosentorture (2014-11-01 20:20:16)

#2 2014-10-31 19:16:07

chosentorture

Re: Internet connection issues during archlinux installation [SOLVED]

Never mind. I got something.

#3 2014-10-31 19:18:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome to the forums.  If this is not (edit: I meant now) working for you please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title (by editting the first post).  But also, it would be good to add what you did to get it working so it could help others.

I suspect you found that the text-mode browsers can do this type of log in just fine (is it elinks, w3m, or lynx that is on the iso now?  At least one of them is).

Last edited by Trilby (2014-11-01 21:57:09)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2014-11-01 20:18:18

chosentorture

Trilby wrote:

Welcome to the forums.  If this is not working for you please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title (by editting the first post).  But also, it would be good to add what you did to get it working so it could help others.

I suspect you found that the text-mode browsers can do this type of log in just fine (is it elinks, w3m, or lynx that is on the iso now?  At least one of them is).

Actually, I found a similar problem posted on the forums where someone couldn't access the Internet during the installation of Arch Linux but could after it has been installed due to university authentication which requires a browser. Some people suggested that he could either replace his existing Linux Installation with Arch or Install Arch in a virtual environment (VMware, Virtual Box ... ) and then export it. I still haven't been able to install Arch but then again, I haven't really tried yet. I'll keep reading the guides.

Your suggestion about using text mode browser is a good one. I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't knew that something like 'text-mode browsers' existed. I'll check this out too. Thanks!

#5 2014-11-01 21:38:17

chosentorture

Trilby wrote:

These text browsers do not support JavaScript and the login page that I'm redirected to requires JavaScript to be enabled. I also read that JS is disabled by default in Ubuntu (which I'm using) so is it enabled in elinks (if it is included with Arch iso)?

Board footer