You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-02 02:32:46

cynicalpsycho

[Solved] UEFI + Partitioning + Bootloader = Hell

I've installed arch twice before this one, those were like a lovely stroll in the park compared to this Clockwork Orangesque torture i've been putting myself through. This time it's different because I have a system with UEFI firmware and I cannot for the life of me sort out this beginners guide to get this thing up and running.

As stated in the guide I verified through

efivar -l

that I am infact booted up through UEFI Mode.

It later goes on to recommend that I used GPT for my setup for UEFI booting.

It is recommended to always use GPT for UEFI boot, as some UEFI firmwares do not allow UEFI-MBR boot.

So I follow the instructions for creating GPT Partitions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide#Using_cgdisk_to_create_GPT_partitions
Which tells me to create just two partitions: Root and Home
Later on in that same page however: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide#Create_filesystems
It tells me that I need to:

For UEFI, you should format the EFI System Partition (for example /dev/sdXY) with:
# mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sdXY

With very little to elaborate on this earlier in the page. Although it does mention that:

If you have a UEFI motherboard, you will need to create an extra EFI System Partition.

But it gives no indication how large this partition needs to be.

I then find this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … _Partition

The EFI System Partition (also called ESP or EFISYS) is a FAT32 formatted physical partition (in the main partition table of the disk, not LVM or software raid etc.) from where the UEFI firmware launches the UEFI bootloader and application. It is a OS independent partition that acts as the storage place for the EFI bootloaders and applications which the firmware launches them. It is mandatory for UEFI boot. It should be marked as EF00 or ef00 type code in gdisk, or boot flag in case of GNU Parted (only for GPT disk). It is recommended to keep ESP size at 512 MiB although smaller/larger sizes are fine (smaller sizes provided it is higher than the minimum FAT32 FS partition size limit (as mandated by FAT32 specification from Microsoft).

(BTW, who uses mebibytes instead of megabytes?)

So... yeah... this was mostly a rant of sadness, after I get this thing up and running (After like 3 hours of beating my head against a wall and like 4 hours trying to get this to work) I really need to fix that friggan wiki... so that the next poor bastard that comes through, doesn't have to endure this PTSD enducing psychological torture...

My major issue was that I was not creating an EFI Partition for the GPT. Without which the bootloader (Gummiboot) is unable to communicate with the UEFI Firmware.

=============================================================================================

Solution - My two major mistakes were failing to create an EFI partition and using syslinux instead of gummiboot

=============================================================================================
1. Verify that your system is booting in UEFI Mode
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _UEFI_mode

efivar -l

If you are in UEFI Mode, your system will output a list of UEFI Variables properly, if you are not, you will receive an error.

Continue on with the beginners guide as usual until you reach the "Using cgdisk to create GPT" portion
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … partitions

2. Create partions with cgboot (This was a crux for me, I didn't include the EFI Partition)

cgdisk /dev/sda

Choose New (or press N) – Enter for the first sector (2048) – type in 15G – Enter for the default hex code (8300) – Enter for a blank partition name.

Press the down arrow a couple of times to move to the larger free space area.

Choose New (or press N) – Enter for the first sector (2048) – type in 512M – Enter for the hex code for and EFI partition (ef00) – Enter for a blank partition name.

Choose New (or press N) – Enter for the first sector – Enter to use the rest of the drive (or you could type in the desired size; for example 30G) – Enter for the default hex code (8300) – Enter for a blank partition name.

here's how it will look

Part. #     Size        Partition Type            Partition Name
----------------------------------------------------------------
            1007.0 KiB  free space
   1        15.0 GiB    Linux filesystem
   2        512 MiB     EFI Filesystem
   3        123.45 GiB  Linux filesystem

Now continue on with the Beginners guide until you reach the boot loader partition, I used Gummiboot successfully by following the simple instructions:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … #Gummiboot

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2014-11-02 04:55:35)

#2 2014-11-02 02:55:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] UEFI + Partitioning + Bootloader = Hell

cynicalpsycho wrote:

[beginners' guide] tells me to create just two partitions: Root and Home

Please read more carefully:

Beginners' Guide wrote:

The example system will contain a 15 GB root partition, and a home partition for the remaining space. Choose either MBR or GPT, as described above. Do not choose both!

It should be emphasized that partitioning is a personal choice and that this example is only for illustrative purposes. See Partitioning.

---

cynicalpsycho wrote:

So... yeah... this was mostly a rant

Please also read this more carefully: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … cs.2FRants

Is there a question here?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-11-02 02:57:17

TheSaint

So, what's you actual partitioning ?
You should post

# lsblk
# ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid

Do you have any other OS installed in that drive ?

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#4 2014-11-02 03:21:34

cynicalpsycho

TheSaint wrote:

You should post

# lsblk

I'm fairly sure I've solved the problem. The issue was I was trying to follow the guide verbatim and that apparently is not the solution. When I initially tried to install the system, it would not load, presumably because I had not created an ef00/efi partition while using gummie and had instead simply tried to install it on a fat /boot partition. My system is currently pacstrapping. I'll provide more information once it's done.

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2014-11-02 03:22:05)

#5 2014-11-02 03:30:55

cynicalpsycho

Trilby wrote:
cynicalpsycho wrote:

[beginners' guide] tells me to create just two partitions: Root and Home

Please read more carefully:

Beginners' Guide wrote:

The example system will contain a 15 GB root partition, and a home partition for the remaining space. Choose either MBR or GPT, as described above. Do not choose both!

It should be emphasized that partitioning is a personal choice and that this example is only for illustrative purposes. See Partitioning.

Is there a question here?

I read that... quite carefully... multiple times. If you are going to give an example, it should be a working example. I will be sure to fix it, once I'm done. My only point is, it could have been more elaborative. I will try to keep my rants to a minimum.

My post was more of a statement than a questions, one that may help the next guy out that can't figure out how to boot with an UEFI. I'll be sure to post a solution and my error once I'm done with the install.

#6 2014-11-02 03:43:32

cynicalpsycho

TheSaint wrote:

You should post

# lsblk

lsblk -f:

Part      Size     MP            FSType   UUID
sda1      25G    /mnt            ext4       290b1f9f-0087-44c6-b1f6-114678b19e4d
sda2        1G    /mnt/boot    vfat        91d6-f25e
sda3     212G   /mnt/home   ext4       e0f2dff0-1769-4ba1-bc71-20d84c5012f5

ls -lf /dev/disk/by-uuid reflects the same as above but adds my dm-0 and sdb1.
No other OS is installed on that hard drive.

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2014-11-02 04:03:43)

#7 2014-11-02 08:33:11

TheSaint

Well, if you got through you problem, no much to say.
The only point for EFI BIOS, you need to set sda2 as ESP, which flag is 00FE. Here I don't see that particular.
Boot loader are to set only when you chroot to the installation.
For gummiboot, best is to mount ESP on /boot.
Another option would be to run the kernel directly from the BIOS. Editing the BIOS entry by efibootmgr.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#8 2014-11-02 17:20:21

mrunion
Website

@cynicalpsycho: Brand new laptop delivered last Wednesday. Followed Beginners Guide and had no problem getting a GPT partition for UEFI set up. It was all in the Wiki. Except for the recommened size being missing -- and that is just a recommendation, users should do their own research -- it was clear what needed to be done.

I re-read the Wiki after you posted this note and cannot see where it was misleading unless one is just skimming through and looking only at the command examples given, and not reading ALL of the guide.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. I'm not being acusatory or anything, I'm just pointing out that the guide wasn't incomplete.

Last edited by mrunion (2014-11-02 17:24:32)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#9 2014-11-04 13:48:49

cynicalpsycho

mrunion wrote:

@cynicalpsycho: Brand new laptop delivered last Wednesday. Followed Beginners Guide and had no problem getting a GPT partition for UEFI set up. It was all in the Wiki. Except for the recommened size being missing -- and that is just a recommendation, users should do their own research -- it was clear what needed to be done.

I re-read the Wiki after you posted this note and cannot see where it was misleading unless one is just skimming through and looking only at the command examples given, and not reading ALL of the guide.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. I'm not being acusatory or anything, I'm just pointing out that the guide wasn't incomplete.

Just a couple of questions:
1. How long have you been using Linux?
2. How long have you been using Arch?
3. How many times have you installed Arch?

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2014-11-04 13:49:28)

#10 2014-11-04 14:32:33

mrunion
Website

1) Since 1998
2) First install was in January 2007.
3) In total? 5-6 times. As a UEFI install? 2 times (including last Wednesday like I mentioned in my post).

I do get your point, which is why I said I wasn't being accusatory or anything. I know that it pleases me to see people (like you) fight through and join this community -- it shows willpower and perseverance. (Those are fine qualities to have in life, as well as in software installs!) Arch is not designed for those less familiar with Linux. Not knowing your background I cannot comment on you personally, but anyone who has trouble with the install, but sticks with it and joins Arch is a valuable asset!

FWIW, the install procedure is not designed as a test of ones ability to understand Linux, but it does help filter out those that are just playing and stumbled here to get Linux street cred.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#11 2014-11-04 16:33:17

cynicalpsycho

mrunion wrote:

1) Since 1998
2) First install was in January 2007.
3) In total? 5-6 times. As a UEFI install? 2 times (including last Wednesday like I mentioned in my post).

1. Exactly, You're an arrogant, condescending snob that's been doing this for quite some time. Congrats, you can put together a linux box... well I would certainly hope so, you've been doing it for over 15 years now. But don't forget there was a point that even you had to overcome the learning curve and just because it's simple and clear to you, doesn't mean there aren't people out here that don't have 16 years of linux centric "common sense" behind them. Your current level of expertise is a cumulative evolution of 16 years of study and exposure and that is something you should take pride in, but being an arrogant twit about it just makes you look like a douche and it epitomizes exactly what gives the linux community a bad rap.

2. This Arch Wiki is (compared to most) massive, it's not streamlined, it has several passages that may or may not be used depending on the person, their equipment, preferences etc etc...  So forgive me if I didn't read the parts telling me to configure my keymap to a language I don't need to configure it too. It also links to other pages without giving full elaboration on why. It eventually leads you through several rabbit holes and isn't clear by any means to someone who doesn't do this on the regular.

3. I get that Arch isn't a COTS windows solution... it does have a level of difficulty that must be overcome, and it does require research, (which I am totally all about doing, and if you'd read my post, you would see that I never asked directly for an answer, instead I was trying to offer solutions to make the wiki itself better, because there was something omitted within an example) but there is also a great community behind it, that does (or so I thought) work hard to help its user base through forums and documentation. But your previous post, was completely nonconstructive, and served no purpose other than to stroke your own overblown ego.

Last edited by cynicalpsycho (2014-11-04 16:34:35)

#12 2014-11-04 16:37:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

cynicalpsycho wrote:

You're an arrogant, condescending snob

That's uncalled for and unacceptable here.  Especially directed at mrunion who has been far more generous and courteous with you in this thread than I would have been.  Please read all of the forum etiquette rules before posting again, particularly on respecting other users.  I considered a formal ban to give you the time to do that, but I will not go there yet.  But consider this your only warning.

Closed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer