You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-14 11:33:22

tririver

[Solved] Key press occasionally get stuck

I reinstalled archlinux a month ago on a Dell Precision M6800 laptop. During this month, I noticed that occasionally, when I press a key and release, the key is still repeating on screen. Here are some details:

1. The repeating behavior happens after reinstall. Previously I have used archlinux and debian for a long time and no problem found.

2. This should not be hardware problem. Because the key which got stuck is pretty random, including alphabet, space, backspace and enter.

3. It is triggered by key press and happens about a few times a day. After pressing another key, the repeating stops.

4. Tried default kernel and LTS kernel (and there are kernel and evdev upgrade during the month), both have the problem. Did not find any relevant dmesg or .xsession-errors entries.

Any ideas what would be the problem, or how to debug it? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by tririver (2014-11-19 20:17:35)

#2 2014-11-15 19:41:44

davidm

Re: [Solved] Key press occasionally get stuck

First verify for sure that it isn't a hardware problem.  Try it with windows or other LiveCDs from other operating systems.  A common issue with laptops is often that the keyboard connector becomes damage or loose and can cause strange errors.

Does heat seem to be a factor?

#3 2014-11-15 21:10:00

tririver

Does heat seem to be a factor?

No, heat is no problem. The CPU is about 80C at high load.

#4 2014-11-19 20:17:16

tririver

Turns out it is not a problem of operating system, but BIOS. Last time when I re-installed the system, the BIOS is upgraded also, which was ignored when I was asking this question

I downgraded the BIOS of the laptop, and now the problem is gone.

Board footer