You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-21 21:41:46

penright14

[SLOVED] Are udev rule attributes 'ATTRS' or 'ATTR' interchangeable?

Since I got my network@.service working by running it manualy, I was looking at why it was not starting at boot. The journalctl was reporting I had a bad rule in /etc/rules.d/10-network.rules. So I started looking at to understand udev better. I was using the network wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration Then I found the udev rule wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev

Looking at two different wiki the network one uses ATTR but the udev uses ATTRS. Also if I run udevadm info -a -p /sys/class/net/ens32 as in the example on the udev wiki, it reports as ATTRS
Should they be interchangeable?

Last edited by penright14 (2014-11-24 13:38:29)

#2 2014-11-21 22:06:45

brebs

Re: [SLOVED] Are udev rule attributes 'ATTRS' or 'ATTR' interchangeable?

No - they have different meanings.

ATTRS will match on more levels.

"man udev" has a bad explanation sad

#3 2014-11-22 00:13:17

Strike0

Reactivated as an example that might make it clearer.

#4 2014-11-24 13:38:08

penright14

Strike0 wrote:

Reactivated as an example that might make it clearer.

I know this may seem obvious (newbi), but where it says to use udevinfo on new systems 'udevadm info'

OK, Being new, I was missing the hierarchy. So by adding the S on ATTR and SUBSYSTEM that allows you to use the parent of the inherited process.

#5 2014-11-26 10:52:54

Strike0

Yes, something like that (and udevinfo is deprecated indeed).
SUBSYSTEM picks the starting point in the device hierarchy. Then, going back to your original question: the network wiki can use ATTR to identify the correct device to apply the rule to, because the MAC is a unique ATTR for the device (it will match also if you plug the card into another slot/PC). The Udev wiki instead has a lot of example rules for devices which don't have such a unique persistent ATTR or rules which should be applied more generally. For example  this rule matches the devices based on ATTRS{idVendor} and ATTRS{idProduct}. This combo might actually match for more than one device (two usb-devices of the same make). Yet, it will match as well, if you plug the device into another usb-port.

Board footer