You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-01 22:30:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

[SOLVED] pentadactyl compatibility with newer firefox versions

Firefox 34 broke pentadactly (even with a rebuild of pentadactyl from mercurial) - and a comment on the addons page suggests that development of pentadactyl may have stopped.  With luakit in mothballs and portix putting dwb on the back burner I'm running out of browser options that don't suck.

mod note: posts 1-12 here were split off from Grr thread.

EDIT: while this post was not originally intended for troubleshooting, feedback on the grr thread turned it in that direction.  To provide direction for the thread, the initial issue of version incompatibility is solved below, but a remaining bug for hint symbols remains.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-12-02 14:55:36)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2 2014-12-01 22:47:11

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] pentadactyl compatibility with newer firefox versions

I fell back to vimperator when pentadactyl decided not to support Pale Moon. It might not be as good as pentadactyl, but it may fill the void for you as it does for me.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2014-12-01 22:53:00

skanky

MIght have to give vimperator a go, but for the moment I'm going back to try xombrero. I moved from it because pentadactyl and ffx was a better package, for me.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#4 2014-12-01 23:01:59

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Just so y'all know, It turns out that chromium with cvim isn't so bad. It definitely is not perfect, and it doesn't completely replace vimp/penta, but it's sated me for now.

On-t: chromium removed the option to remove the URL bar (at least afaict) without also removing the tabbar. Grrr! The wasted screen real-estate!

All the best,

-HG

#5 2014-12-01 23:29:22

firecat53
Website

FWIW, I had to grab the github source and compile the vimperator xpi (a few seconds work) to work with latest versions of Firefox. I actually like the way vimperator handles the 'passthrough' state (shift+ESC) compared to pentadactyl.
/offtopic

Scott

#6 2014-12-01 23:37:51

karol
Archivist

Trilby wrote:

Firefox 34 broke pentadactly (even with a rebuild of pentadactyl from mercurial) - and a comment on the addons page suggests that development of pentadactyl may have stopped.  With luakit in mothballs and portix putting dwb on the back burner I'm running out of browser options that don't suck.

Seems to work for me. 'wget http://5digits.org/nightly/pentadactyl-latest.xpi'.
What exactly is the problem?

#7 2014-12-02 00:35:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Karol, I've been using the pentadactyl-hg package from the AUR.  The problem is that it is completely disabled in FF34 and can't be reenabled.

EDIT: odd, it seems the pentadactyl "source" is hosted on three different version control systems and all have different content.

@ Karol, how do you use that archive, do you have a PKGBUILD for that?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2014-12-02 00:56:46

karol
Archivist

I've just run 'firefox /path/to/pentadactyl-latest.xpi' and follower the standard firefox add-on installation wizard.

Also:
<read in Don LaFontaine's voice>
From the creator of pentadactyl: Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks!

<Hopefully Xyne will pad the story with mentions of a great adventure full of something something. Not that Disabling Add-on Compatibility Checks isn't fun on its own, but we have been deprived of Xyne's trademark posts for over a month already and it would be such a shame if this would affect his year-end bonus ;P >

#9 2014-12-02 01:09:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, I just figured out an alternative.  It works fine - but it is only the compatibility version check.  I just packaged the nightly and patched the install.rdf to have a higher maxVersion number.  I suspect the same will work for the existing -hg package - if I can verify that I'll post it in the aur comments for it.

EDIT: that worked: the -hg package is back up and running.  Thanks.  I just changed the line in the PKGBUILD to a more generic sed line that will work for a much longer time:

sed -i 's/maxVersion="[^"]*/maxVersion="40/' pentadactyl/install.rdf

EDIT 2: damn, I knew that was too good to be true.  It *mostly* works.  But hints are broken (follow hints for keyboard navigation).

Last edited by Trilby (2014-12-02 01:17:11)

#10 2014-12-02 08:43:52

skanky

I've just installed the latest nightly pentadactyl and yeah, hints is broken. The mechanism works, but the hints don't show.
Do they work for you, karol?

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#11 2014-12-02 09:45:52

karol
Archivist

skanky wrote:

I've just installed the latest nightly pentadactyl and yeah, hints is broken. The mechanism works, but the hints don't show.

Nope: https://code.google.com/p/dactyl/issues … %20Summary

#12 2014-12-02 09:50:16

skanky

karol wrote:
skanky wrote:

Nope: https://code.google.com/p/dactyl/issues … %20Summary

Thanks for that.

(and grr, I should have looked at the bug tracker, myself).

#13 2014-12-02 15:22:37

skanky

Just FYI with hinting, if you start typing the text of the link, it will work - it's a bit hit and miss though, so it's best to type a unique part, if you can.

#14 2014-12-02 15:24:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That's certainly an improvement.  I use hints most often on the index pages of these forums.  While I already knew I could tab through, this could take several dozen tab presses to get to the link I wanted.  Typing a few letters narrows it down so one or two tabs will get there.  Still a far cry from just the number - but better than reaching for the rodent.

#15 2014-12-02 15:53:16

alphaniner

skanky wrote:

MIght have to give vimperator a go, but for the moment I'm going back to try xombrero. I moved from it because pentadactyl and ffx was a better package, for me.

I wasn't aware of xombrero, thanks. So far it seems great, but I have yet to try customizing keybindings (essential for non-qwerty keymap) or the whitelist mode.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#16 2014-12-02 16:01:23

karol
Archivist

#17 2014-12-02 16:18:41

skanky

Trilby wrote:

That's certainly an improvement.  I use hints most often on the index pages of these forums.  While I already knew I could tab through, this could take several dozen tab presses to get to the link I wanted.  Typing a few letters narrows it down so one or two tabs will get there.  Still a far cry from just the number - but better than reaching for the rodent.

I had changed it to use the home keys for hints, so it's not toooo painful, if still irritating.

alphaniner wrote:

I wasn't aware of xombrero, thanks. So far it seems great, but I have yet to try customizing keybindings (essential for non-qwerty keymap) or the whitelist mode.

I'm slowly trying it out again. I'm using ffx mainly still, but am configuring xombrero and trying stuff out.
Will be a day or two before I either jump, or not.

#18 2014-12-05 03:45:19

monodromy

In case you haven't updated, there's a fix for this.

#19 2014-12-05 04:23:13

x33a
Forum Fellow

@monodromy,

Thanks. That indeed fixes the problem. Also, the maxVersion has been bumped.

I would like to add that pentadactyl development hasn't stopped. The developers fix any major problems within a couple of days. Most of these problems are due to Firefox undergoing major changes frequently and the developers have to play catch up.

Last edited by x33a (2014-12-05 04:23:39)

#20 2014-12-05 10:12:36

karol
Archivist

Since there are no new nightly precompiled xpi files, I guess we should use https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pentadactyl-hg/ , right?

#21 2014-12-05 12:15:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It's back!  Oh nice!

Karol, I've been using the -hg package for a while, and just confirmed that the bug fix is included.

(marking thread solved)

#22 2014-12-05 21:39:51

monodromy

@karol, one alternative (which I used) is to just edit the xpi directly---the fix itself is just one line (described at the link I posted earlier), plus you can edit the install.rdf to bump the version number. I'd never done this before, and it was shockingly easy.

#23 2014-12-05 21:58:17

karol
Archivist

I prefer to limit such tweaking as much as possible. It's easier to use just pacman + cower to update.

Board footer