You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-03 06:04:16

uberscientist

[SOLVED] Migration to SSD... I didn't setup partitions first

I decided to try migrating using this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fu … with_rsync

I just used that rsync line after doing mkfs.ext4 on the new drive... I am afraid I'll have to re-transfer everything after setting up the partition scheme on the new drive with fdisk.

Anyone know if I can add partitions after doing the rsync /* ?

EDIT
I ended up just re-doing the rsync.

I created one partition instead of my multiple partitions and set it bootable with fdisk, and used the old harddrive's syslinux to boot it /dev/sdb1

Last edited by uberscientist (2014-12-03 23:58:46)

#2 2014-12-03 08:19:59

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Migration to SSD... I didn't setup partitions first

You made it to that wiki article, I suspect you will manage to find the "Partitioning" article as well.

Shortcut: Yes, it is possible. I would, however, consider a fresh start, depending on how much manual sorting you would have to do, you might end up resizing and sorting longer than it takes to start over.

#3 2014-12-07 15:49:24

victl

Re: [SOLVED] Migration to SSD... I didn't setup partitions first

uberscientist wrote:

I decided to try migrating using this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fu … with_rsync

I just used that rsync line after doing mkfs.ext4 on the new drive... I am afraid I'll have to re-transfer everything after setting up the partition scheme on the new drive with fdisk.

Anyone know if I can add partitions after doing the rsync /* ?

EDIT
I ended up just re-doing the rsync.

I created one partition instead of my multiple partitions and set it bootable with fdisk, and used the old harddrive's syslinux to boot it /dev/sdb1

By following the wiki instruction, did you succeeded in making he backup bootable?
I my case, after I chroot to the backup location and made a new boot image by mkinitcpio, then used grub-mkconfig to generate grub.cfg file. The newly generated grub.cfg file still point to the old disk, how could I fix it? (I tried to generate grub.cfg twice, one within chroot environment, the other after exited it. Both results point to the old one)
By the way, my backup disk is built on a lvm

Last edited by victl (2014-12-07 17:09:16)

Board footer