You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-07 01:20:12

starbreaker
Website

[SOLVED] Autostart sections in window manager wiki pages

I've been using the Arch Wiki's page for AwesomeWM to set up my own AwesomeWM awesome, and I noticed something odd in the "Autorun programs" section: the wiki suggests several roundabout methods for starting arbitrary programs at the beginning of an X session, but not ~/.xprofile. This surprises me, since ~/.xprofile seems like a WM/DE independent method for running programs on session start when using a display manager like XDM.

Would it be a good idea for me to go around to the various WM wiki pages and add/edit autorun sections to recommend ~/.xprofile as a standard method for autorun on session start?

Last edited by starbreaker (2014-12-08 19:13:26)

Matthew Graybosch
matthewgraybosch.com (personal) | starbreakerseries.com (my epic SF series)
"I ain't got a drinking problem. I got a doing stupid shit when I'm drunk problem." --Edmund Cohen

#2 2014-12-07 01:42:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Autostart sections in window manager wiki pages

I'd say no.

There are many ways that users can opt to set up their system.  The wiki should not try to dictate one way.  Xprofile is only relevant if one is using a display manager.  For those who use display managers, they can already have an xprofile so they can skip the autorun options provided by many window managers.  But if the winodw manager has an option to autorun programs, that should be covered on the window manager page.

So in other words: lots of options are covered on lots of pages and they should stay on the right pages - wm options on wm pages, dm options on dm pages.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-12-07 01:47:18

starbreaker
Website

That makes sense.

Matthew Graybosch
matthewgraybosch.com (personal) | starbreakerseries.com (my epic SF series)
"I ain't got a drinking problem. I got a doing stupid shit when I'm drunk problem." --Edmund Cohen

#4 2014-12-07 02:09:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2014-12-07 02:14:17

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Related wiki articles: Autostarting and xprofile.

Board footer