You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-11 03:03:07

verifier

possible to create globe [Xresources] file?

Hi there!
I installed arch with standalone openbox WM, plus urxvt terminal emulator. Everything goes well but I want to change font & font size in urxvt, I need to create .Xresources file in my homedir, because "Xresources is a user-level configuration dotfile", as the wiki says. I'm wondering if I can create globe Xresources file for all users on my system, and how?

I'd like to refine common features as much as possible, for all users on my system, e.g, source pkgfile 'command not found' hook, command aliases for common utilities, colored man pages etc.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 2014-12-11 03:08:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: possible to create globe [Xresources] file?

None of the things you mention would actually go in an Xresources file.  They'd all go in shell profiles which *can* be system-wide.

Mod note: moving to NC.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-12-11 03:24:29

verifier

Trilby wrote:

None of the things you mention would actually go in an Xresources file.  They'd all go in shell profiles which *can* be system-wide.

Mod note: moving to NC.

I HAVE made global change for /etc/bash.bashrc, to refine common settings for all users, like hook 'command not found'.

Now I'm doing is to create global Xresources for X app parameters, is this possible?

Last edited by verifier (2014-12-11 03:27:18)

#4 2014-12-11 03:33:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Are you using a DE that reads ~/.Xresources?  As far as I know DEs are the only thing that read that file.(edit: sorry, missed that part the second time.)  Generally one would use xrdb to read in ~/.Xresources, but you could just as easily read /etc/Xresources.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-12-11 03:43:36

verifier

Trilby wrote:

Are you using a DE that reads ~/.Xresources?  As far as I know DEs are the only thing that read that file.  Generally one would use xrdb to read in ~/.Xresources, but you could just as easily read /etc/Xresources.

"I installed arch with standalone openbox WM, plus urxvt terminal emulator." I want to create a Xresources file for system-wide settings.

I'll try. Thanks!

Board footer