You are not logged in.

#76 2006-02-28 17:00:16

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: $$ GOAL ALMOST REACHED!!

dude. Linux and BSD's are free!
wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#77 2006-02-28 17:31:36

pikass

yeah, free as in free speech not in free beer. But i wasn't that serious, no one looses money if archlinux is not reachable or we couldn't set our avatars wink

Anyway, would be interesting to compare the tcos of arch, rh and solaris in a productive webserver environment.

#78 2006-02-28 18:17:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

tco is so ephemeral. I always found it to be a silly thing to try and genericize.
tco is heavily dependent upon your needs, your employee skillset (and the skillset of those managing your network), and pre-existing knowledge. Add to this usability, management, update cycles, security concerns, blah blah blah...

It is so dependent upon the problem domain, and the people using it, that I was always amazed when people can say, "the tco for this product is X, over the course of Y years"
o.O

That being said, I would imagine these 'generated statistics' for archlinux would be much inline with something like slackware. Maybe a hair more expensive, because more people have used slackware and are familiar with it.

tco always seemed silly to me..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#79 2006-02-28 19:24:48

pikass

But that's a problem in business math in general, economics even worse.
You have to create arguments to fortify your decisions. Nevertheless in a given environment you can compare at least in some points. I'm only interested because i like arch, but would'nt use it as a productive server. (and maybe I am wrong in my point of view)

Board footer