You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-22 01:38:21

cjdj

Updated everything, now just get a blank screen [FIXED]

I just performed a full update.   After the update, I attempted to do a reboot, but just ended up on a screen that said it was unable to stop the watchdog process (or something like that), and it stayed in that state for a while.   Eventually I hit the reset button and rebooted.  Now, before it gets to the KDE login screen, it just goes blank.

I'm creating a USB boot drive to boot in and take a look, but thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas where to look.

Thanks.

Last edited by cjdj (2014-12-22 03:36:31)

#2 2014-12-22 01:41:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Updated everything, now just get a blank screen [FIXED]

Look in pacman's log to see what was updated and the journal to see where it is stopping and what the final messages are.

Not a Pacman issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-12-22 03:02:40

karol
Archivist

Can you switch to the tty using Alt-Ctrl-F2?

#4 2014-12-22 03:08:58

cjdj

I got it working.

The problem was with the nvidia-utils and opencl-nvidia packages.  There were files that were of zero size.   My root partition is reasonably full with 200mb free (after the update).  I guess its possible that it ran out of space while in the middle of the update.

Hopefully there is not any more packages on here that were only partially installed.

Thanks

#5 2014-12-22 03:35:03

cjdj

karol wrote:

Can you switch to the tty using Alt-Ctrl-F2?

No, I couldn't.   Wouldn't respond at all.   I downloaded the latest ISO (on my laptop), copied it to a thumbdrive and booted off that.    There was nothing interesting in the pacman log.  But since it seemed to be failing at the start of the GUI, I figured I would start at the nvidia drivers.   Re-installed it, and it ldconfig complained that some libraries were truncated.   So I found which packages those libraries were supposed to be from, and re-installed those.

Rebooted and it is now working.

Now I'm going to check the libraries folders to see if there are any more empty files in there.

Board footer