You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-23 14:05:13

fladi

[solved] Why on earth does my created desktop launcher not work ?

Good afternoon,

I run arch lxde and tried to add a launcher to my desktop (launching in terminal as it is a command to update my antivirus database: sudo /opt/f-prot/fpupdate) first by using alacarte.
But after kindprozess errors I tried manually in terminal by

lxshortcut -o ~/Desktop/myLauncher

This seemed to work first, I was able to create my launcher including icon as I wanted but when I double-clicked it on my desktop afterwards  it kinda loaded but the terminal did not open nor did anything happen.

Problem: I want to create a launcher to my desktop which does the command "sudo /opt/f-prot/fpupdate" in a terminal by doubleclicking its icon.

Replies welcome !

Last edited by fladi (2014-12-25 07:26:43)

#2 2014-12-23 14:16:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] Why on earth does my created desktop launcher not work ?

If you want any help at all, you'll need to show us the contents of said desktop file.  How are we supposed to know what might be wrong with it?

Also, many aspects of communication are lost online, all we have is the words you chose.  I suspect you'll get a warmer welcome if you use less pseudo-profanity.  From the forum etiquette page:

wiki wrote:

A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-12-23 14:46:08

fladi

Sorry sir, I just edited my posting. I was in rage about my own incapacity when I typed the posting, now I smashed some glazed tiles by headbutting them, so I am calm now. I did in no way want to cause any inconvenience. Sorry again. You are welcome, my fault.

#4 2014-12-23 15:10:43

mcmillan

The actual contents of the file is more helpful. Is the launcher just that command? If so you need to run the terminal with the anti-virus command, not just the command. Most terminals I've used have an option for this. Take a look at the man page for the terminal you're using to figure out what it is.

#5 2014-12-23 15:15:19

Awebb

The problem is, that X does not know how to ask you for your password, sudo usually wants the password in a shell. You need some tool that asks you for your password and give it to sudo.

#6 2014-12-23 18:36:06

drcouzelis
Website

@fladi,

Are you familiar with ".desktop" files? They are stored in the "~/.local/share/applications" directory. They are just text files, so you can open them in any text editor. When you create a shortcut, that's what's happening: a ".desktop" file is created in that directory.

I think both Awebb and mcmillan have good ideas of what the problem might be. We can give you more information once you post the contents of the ".desktop" file. smile

#7 2014-12-25 07:26:20

fladi

Can be marked as solved, tried to add an icon in ~/.local/share/applications and to modify it - no chance. Switched to xfce desktop, then cteated a starter and put the "sudo /opt/f-prot/fpupdate"-command in it, also made it start in terminal, just had to enter sudo password and voila - antivirus update worked.

Seemed that lxde is not that user friendly than xfce.

#8 2014-12-25 13:31:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

fladi wrote:

... made it start in terminal

I'm pretty sure that's what was missing all along.  But as you refused to actually share what was in the file, no one here could help you.  There is little point in creatng a thread here if you are going to ignore all the input by other users and just guess-and-check until you find a way around that allows you to maintain your own ignorance.  Further, blaming the DE is hardly productive.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer