You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-24 13:38:18

stevenmw
Banned

My battery icon does not always show in panel (multiple DEs)

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I kind of asked in passing not really looking too hard for an answer. And from what I heard others aren't having this issue, but then again I didn't ask very in depth.

On my laptop if I plug in my power cable I can see my battery icon in the panel, then when I unplug it I can see the battery icon. However, after a certain amount of time of being unplugged the icon in the panel disappears until my laptop gets really low on power. Then it reappears. If I plug in my power cable and then remove it I get my panel icon back immediately, but only for a short time.

I was using XFCE and thought it might be a problem with the new Power Manager. Whenever the icon would disappear I could go into the Power Manager settings and it was never wrong. It always told me correctly if I had a line in or line out.

So I tried with GNOME and the exact same thing happens. i haven;t tried with any other desktop environments. Has anyone seen this issue?

#2 2014-12-24 17:24:57

ewaller
Administrator

Re: My battery icon does not always show in panel (multiple DEs)

No, I've not seen it.

Look at the pseudo files in /sys/class/power_supply.  On my system, these are the interesting ones:

ewaller@odin ~ 1048 %ls /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 
alarm     capacity_level  charge_full_design  current_now  device        model_name  present        status     technology  uevent              voltage_now
capacity  charge_full     charge_now          cycle_count  manufacturer  power       serial_number  subsystem  type        voltage_min_design
ewaller@odin ~ 1049 %cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/voltage_now 
ewaller@odin ~ 1050 %cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now 

Ensure that these files are not appearing and disappearing.  Also, check their contents and see if the data are rational

Last edited by ewaller (2014-12-24 17:25:27)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer