You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-27 19:11:24

raptorjesus

Which google drive solution do people actually use? Also, AUR helper

I just successfully changed my laptop OS from crunchbang/debian to arch and i like it a lot so far. I used to have cron run a shellscript which ran grive and stuffed output to a log file, however i was never quite comfortable with not getting notified if it stopped working. I've read up on grive and google-drive-ocamlfuse (which seems to require a shitload of AUR dependencies).

What solution do people actually use to sync google drive files? Reliability is the highest priority

Also what is a good AUR helper for installing somehing like google-drive-ocamlfuse (which has branching dependencies, some i AUR and some in offical repos)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by raptorjesus (2014-12-27 21:18:14)

#2 2014-12-27 19:17:17

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Which google drive solution do people actually use? Also, AUR helper

grive is the only thing I have found that works.   As Google has decided to ignore Linux, I do my best to ignore Google; my preferred solution is none.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-12-27 20:27:56

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

none, cower

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2014-12-27 20:39:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Also "none + cower".  But cower is probably not at all fit for the need you just described.  But I'd suggest you avoid that need.  There is one aur helper I know of that would automate installation of a long chain of aur dependencies ... but I wouldn't wish that aur helper on my worst enemy.

I've also struggled to get any google stuff synced and/or working under linux to absolutely no avail.  Grive seems decent for what it does, but all the gcalcli packages have failed miserably and repeatedly for me - I can't even login.  I'd love to find a good calendar I could use on my phone and sync to my laptop (format is irrelevant, I could hack on just about anything if I can just get the data) - but all the android apps I can find are just different front-ends the google calendar.  Though this thread itself just prompted me to dig a bit deeper for an actual alternative calendar for my phone as getting gcal on my computer is impossible outside of a web browser.  So long story short - I'd love to see what recommendations can be made here.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-12-28 08:01:46

ugjka
Website

I used insync when it was free, it seemed decent. But now you have to pay 15$ per each google account.

Last edited by ugjka (2014-12-28 08:08:10)

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#6 2014-12-28 19:45:59

cirrus
Website

If OP isn't too reliant on the Google ecosystem maybe something akin to Spideroak might be worth looking at, it's multi platform and works very well under Linux.

Last edited by cirrus (2014-12-28 20:07:27)

#7 2014-12-28 23:56:46

raptorjesus

Hi, OP here, thanks for all the replies. It seems I should get going with spideroak. At least from research a while ago they seemed like one of the more privacy-conscious storage providers.

Anyway I will post my setup to run grive regularly (every 5 minutes), maybe it will help another newbie, and since I am one myself I'd be happy if someone tells me whether I'm using systemd timers all wrong.

~/.config/systemd/user/grive.timer

[Unit]
Description=Grive timer
[Timer]
OnCalendar=*:0/5
Unit=grive.service
[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

~/.config/systemd/user/grive.service

[Unit]
Description=Grive service
[Service]
ExecStart=grive.sh (shell script that calls grive in the right directory + saves log output)
[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
systemctl --user start grive.timer
systemctl --user enable grive.timer

Last edited by raptorjesus (2014-12-28 23:57:30)

#8 2014-12-29 07:56:07

orschiro
Website

As @ugjka I am using Insync. It is supported well on Arch Linux and syncs my entire Google Drive files into a folder in /home. Similar what Dropbox does.

Yes it costs money but since I only have one Google Drive account it was worth the $15.

Board footer