You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-31 09:21:10

kiwiblaster516

AMD Catalyst: Xorg fails to start in user

I was trying to get Arch Linux to work on my brother's desktop computer and succeeded up until Xorg.  On the surface, it appears that Xorg will not start for a standard user due to some previously nonexistent privilege restrictions.

In essence, I recieve this message and Xorg fails to start:

xf86EnableIOPorts: Failed to set IOPL for I/O (opperation not permitted)

I reinstalled and wanted to see if this was an issue with Xorg and not the AMD driver.  As such, I reinstalled all of arch along with xorg-server, xorg-xinit, xterm and xf86-video-vesa.  Interestingly, the same issue occurred.  However, upon the installation of the entire xorg package, it did miraculously begin to work.  However, upon instalation of the catalyst-test driver, it failed again with the same error.

I have looked at places online and have found many suggestions that I alter the permissions of various files.  I have tried each of these, even to the point of making them fully accessible to anyone (for the purpose of testing).  Neither this nor adding the user to every available group helped.  Though, X still starts in root.

This makes me wonder if the proprietary driver overwrote one of the packages included in the xorg installation and that the new package does not conform to a current one.  Any ideas?  I will fetch any logs you need.

Also, though I am unsure of its relevance, my brother uses two AMD Radeon HD 7950s in crossfire.  I removed one during the second installation to see if this was causing the issue, but it still did not work.
(On a side note, it appears that these cards are the equivalent of Satan on Linux.  I have run into issues at every turn with these cards, and it seems that these things are in the only computer that can't competently run Linux.)

#2 2014-12-31 10:12:25

torors

Re: AMD Catalyst: Xorg fails to start in user

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=185294
solved a similar problem for me. Have you tried what is mentioned here?

#3 2015-01-03 07:27:25

kiwiblaster516

Re: AMD Catalyst: Xorg fails to start in user

I've already tried installing xf86-video-modesetting and unfortunately it did not work. Nothing changed about the errors that I was getting. That's what I got out of that thread, but it was a little murky. Was there something else that I missed?

Board footer