You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-03 19:32:24

sja1440

[SOLVED] burp-backup error: failed to commit transaction

I have tried to install burp-backup AUR package both directly and via yaourt.  In both cases I fail.  I successfully installed the yaourt AUR package.

I have searched on the forums and can find no issues relating to burp-backup.  Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

sudo pacman -U burp-backup-1.3.48-1-any.pkg.tar.xz 
[sudo] password for avis: 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) burp-backup-1.3.48-1

Total Installed Size:  0.40 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                        [#################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                      [#################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                           [#################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                     [#################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
burp-backup: /usr/sbin exists in filesystem
burp-backup: /var/run exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by sja1440 (2015-01-08 06:51:36)

#2 2015-01-03 20:47:54

clfarron4
Website

Re: [SOLVED] burp-backup error: failed to commit transaction

Why do I think this package might need to be updated to satisfy the /usr/bin move? I thought that all binaries should be installing to /usr/bin and not anything else after that?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2015-01-03 21:02:26

fsckd
Forum Fellow

This is the result of changes introduced with pacman 4.2 in how it handles symlinks. From Allan's blog (http://allanmcrae.com/2014/12/pacman-4-2-released/),

Allan wrote:

Directory Symlink Handling: Example time! Arch Linux has a /lib -> /usr/lib symlink. Previously, if pacman was installing a package and it found files in /lib, it would follow the symlink and install it in /usr/lib. However the filelist for that package still recorded the file in /lib. This caused heaps of difficulty in conflict resolving – primarily the need to resolve every path of all package files to look for conflicts. That was a stupid idea! So now if pacman sees a /lib directory in a package, it will detect a conflict with the symlink on the filesystem.

For OP's problem, as clfarron4 points out, the bin and lib migration made /usr/sbin a symlink to /usr/bin. A whole bunch of PKGBUILDs in the AUR need updating. smile

Edit: Credit where credit is due. It was Lone_wolf who brought this kind of issue to my attention via a report made several days ago.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#4 2015-01-04 08:14:42

sja1440

Thanks for the explanation.  I have added a comment to the AUR package details page to report this to the maintainer.

#5 2015-01-06 13:21:42

sja1440

I worked out how to modify the PKGBUILD to enable installation - I've documented the changes in the AUR package comments at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/burp-backup/

This is the first time that I have done this so I am not sure if my edits are the best, or indeed correct, way of proceeding - time will tell as I try to use the package.

#6 2015-01-08 06:52:49

sja1440

An updated PKGBUILD in https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/burp-backup/ has now officially fixed the problem.  Many thanks.

Board footer