You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-04 07:23:11

piranhaa

Trackpad not working on Asus TP300L Transformer Flip

Hello,

I've been spending a few hours trying to get my trackpad fully working. Currently only left and right click work, but can't get it to middle click (using both buttons) or any gestures at all.  At first it shows up as a Logitech PS/2 mouse, but changes throughout my troubleshooting.

I've tried the following to attempt to get it working:
- installing psmouse-elantech  from AUR - this installs and changes the mouse to "PS/2 Elantech" mouse under xinput.
- trying to force the synaptics driver on it under xorg.  It refuses to work and falls back to Elantech.
- i8042.noloop  in grub cmdline
- psmouse.proto=bare   and some others  in grub cmdline
- using evdev in xorg

This is quite frustrating and I really hope I can get this working. Any ideas would really help!

Thanks

#2 2015-01-04 07:45:31

TheSaint

Re: Trackpad not working on Asus TP300L Transformer Flip

What says

$ synclient

Did you install xf86-input-synaptics. Beside that some DE has nice GUI frontend. What's your DE ?

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#3 2015-01-04 07:51:45

piranhaa

TheSaint wrote:

What says

$ synclient

Did you install xf86-input-synaptics. Beside that some DE has nice GUI frontend. What's your DE ?

Forgot to mention that piece. Yep, I have that installed and I tried the synclient throughout my troubleshooting, but kept saying "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?".

I'm running i3wm right now, but installed xfce4-mouse-settings to see what I can configure, and it's quite minimal - Left or Right handed, reverse scroll direction, acceleration, and sensitivity.

#4 2015-01-04 08:10:48

TheSaint

I see, your TP isn't Synaptics.
See whether our wiki has something good for you.

Last edited by TheSaint (2015-01-04 22:02:29)

#5 2015-01-04 21:02:20

piranhaa

Thanks.

I gave these a try, but still doesn't seem to want to work. When I don't have any elantech package loaded, my mouse shows up as a "PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". psmouse-alps-driver  doesn't make any difference.

When I use psmouse-elantech from AUR, it shows as "PS/2 Elantech ETF1059 Click-Pad" under xinput.  list-props  doesn't show anything with "Capabilities"..  It appears I do have middle click now, so at least I can copy/paste!

Blacklisting the i2c_hid device didn't really seem to do much from what I can tell.  It doesn't have any effect on the middle clicking.

Still would be great to have 2 finger scrolling...

Edit:

Maybe I'll try getting the kernel sources and building the Elantech module against it. Not sure how old the one is from AUR..

Last edited by piranhaa (2015-01-04 21:15:50)

#6 2015-01-04 22:10:01

TheSaint

Did you tried to search by vendorID, productID. Well I don't know exactly where to search these details.

#7 2015-01-06 03:44:22

piranhaa

This is what I get when I see with stock kernel module under /proc/bus/input/devices:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0063
N: Name="PS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event8 mouse0
B: PROP=1
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

Couldn't find anything that helped when I searched.

However, it looks like a similar issue to this:  https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27442

Perhaps I should create cut a kernel bug?

Last edited by piranhaa (2015-01-06 03:45:03)

#8 2015-01-25 19:42:48

samueldr

Hi there piranhaa.

I just got a TP300LA and had the same issue. You might be in luck, through searching I found a couple references and things that helped and I have now patched the Elantech drivers and they detect that touchpad properly.

Though, I do not know if there could be some nasty side-effects from that patch.

Here's the AUR package : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/elan … hpad-dkms/

Activating without a reboot:

# Installation, previously built or with an AUR helper
sudo pacman -U elantech-sdr-dkms-*-any.pkg.tar.xz
# This reloads the driver
sudo modprobe -r psmouse ; sudo modprobe psmouse

And verify through dmesg that it activated properly.

[ ...] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input55

I also track my changes here : https://bitbucket.org/samueldr/elantech … chpad-dkms
The first commit might be of use for testing purposes on other Elantech touchpads.

If anybody has the 15 inches Transformer Flip, the TP500L I believe, I would like to know if they have the same issue and if this fixes it too.

Now, does anyone have any help with regards to informing the kernel developers about this patch, especially considering that I do not know if the patch is safe.

Notes for other touchpads

In the event that another Elantech touchpad needs to be tested, here's how I would try to add it:

1. Add #define DEBUG 1 to elantech.c, this will make psmouse_dbg output debug messages, they will be available to dmesg.

2. Do not shortcircuit the signature check, check the values queried in the log

[  ...] psmouse serio4: elantech: Elantech version query result 0x38, 0x1f, 0x0a.
    [  ...] psmouse serio4: elantech: Probably not a real Elantech touchpad. Aborting.
  3. Verify that the two last values are the same

4. Add the proper value check

Helpful resources for others in need to patch the touchpad driver:

#9 2015-04-05 19:00:52

piranhaa

Thanks samueldr!   That worked perfectly. 

I hope the Linux kernel developers get this fixed in a newer kernel.

#10 2015-05-19 20:50:56

Nekmo

samueldr wrote:

Hi there piranhaa.

I just got a TP300LA and had the same issue. You might be in luck, through searching I found a couple references and things that helped and I have now patched the Elantech drivers and they detect that touchpad properly.

Though, I do not know if there could be some nasty side-effects from that patch.

Here's the AUR package : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/elan … hpad-dkms/

Activating without a reboot:

# Installation, previously built or with an AUR helper
sudo pacman -U elantech-sdr-dkms-*-any.pkg.tar.xz
# This reloads the driver
sudo modprobe -r psmouse ; sudo modprobe psmouse

And verify through dmesg that it activated properly.

[ ...] input: ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input55

I also track my changes here : https://bitbucket.org/samueldr/elantech … chpad-dkms
The first commit might be of use for testing purposes on other Elantech touchpads.

If anybody has the 15 inches Transformer Flip, the TP500L I believe, I would like to know if they have the same issue and if this fixes it too.

Now, does anyone have any help with regards to informing the kernel developers about this patch, especially considering that I do not know if the patch is safe.

Notes for other touchpads

In the event that another Elantech touchpad needs to be tested, here's how I would try to add it:

1. Add #define DEBUG 1 to elantech.c, this will make psmouse_dbg output debug messages, they will be available to dmesg.

2. Do not shortcircuit the signature check, check the values queried in the log

[  ...] psmouse serio4: elantech: Elantech version query result 0x38, 0x1f, 0x0a.
    [  ...] psmouse serio4: elantech: Probably not a real Elantech touchpad. Aborting.
  3. Verify that the two last values are the same

4. Add the proper value check

Helpful resources for others in need to patch the touchpad driver:

samueldr: You are my hero. Thousand thanks!!! smile

Board footer