You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-05 12:17:59

Fred-die-hard
Banned

Can I create new wiki page for a laptop?

So, I have Lenovo R61i laptop and I would like to start putting all useful information/bugs/workarounds to a wiki page.

I didn't find any information about creating new wiki pages for laptops..?

Admins and moderators - what do you think?

Just an idea, but would be great if Arch...mhm.... administrators could create a separate forum only for devices (including laptops, computers, maybe mobile phones, raspberry pi etc.)...

The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed Arch Linux...

#2 2015-01-05 12:40:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Can I create new wiki page for a laptop?

Can't help you with your Wiki enquiry, but regarding this:

Just an idea, but would be great if Arch...mhm.... administrators could create a separate forum only for devices (including laptops, computers, maybe mobile phones, raspberry pi etc.)...

Arch (currently) only supports i686 and x86-64 architectures, but there is the Other Architectures subforum. However, Raspberry Pi (and other ARM devices) topics should be posted on the Arch Linux ARM forum.

There is already a Laptop subforum too. I'm not sure what you think would be achieved by making another (sub)forum for general devices.. perhaps you could elaborate?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2015-01-05 12:49:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Fred-die-hard wrote:

So, I have Lenovo R61i laptop and I would like to start putting all useful information/bugs/workarounds to a wiki page.

You need to register on the ArchWiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … ype=signup

Then create your page and put your entry here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Laptops

Although my ArchWiki contributions to date are limited to two very minor edits so I'm not exactly an expert here...

#4 2015-01-05 12:58:27

karol
Archivist

#5 2015-01-05 14:14:23

ANOKNUSA

And while you're at it, have a look around at other pages in the "Laptops" category. You should restrict your entry to dealing with generic laptop issues as they apply to that specific model. Don't post an entire guide explaining how to install what you think is a good system. Just answer certain questions: Does the hardware require old kernel drivers, or third-party microcode? What graphics driver does it need? What power management solutions are available? Are there any heat issues? Do the hardware keys (FN + whatever) work? And so on. Then figure out how those things might be fixed if they don't work right after install.

And thanks in advance for the contribution. smile As a dedicated laptop user I always like to see people share their info.

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2015-01-05 14:15:21)

#6 2015-01-05 21:58:57

Fred-die-hard
Banned

WorMzy wrote:

Can't help you with your Wiki enquiry, but regarding this:

Arch (currently) only supports i686 and x86-64 architectures, but there is the Other Architectures subforum. However, Raspberry Pi (and other ARM devices) topics should be posted on the Arch Linux ARM forum.

There is already a Laptop subforum too. I'm not sure what you think would be achieved by making another (sub)forum for general devices.. perhaps you could elaborate?

dayum sorry, I meant "wiki" but not forum big_smile

All others:
Alright, so I will try to go deep into the details of the laptop and I will think about if it's beneficial to create it or not. smile

EDIT: I am contributing to the wiki for a few months so I am already familiar with rules and styles. smile

Last edited by Fred-die-hard (2015-01-06 11:27:27)

The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed Arch Linux...

#7 2015-01-06 14:07:42

kynikos
Wiki Admin

Fred-die-hard wrote:

There aren't any indications for laptop pages, but please only add what doesn't work and how to fix it; do not add specifications and/or list what works out of the box.

Even better and simpler, when in the future you forum folks need to point somebody to an intro to wiki editing, using ArchWiki:Contributing is preferable for us, cheers wink

Board footer