You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-12 05:19:20

Grus

Using tabbed with surf, a few questions

I'm using tabbed to get tab support for surf, with the command tabbed -e surf, and there are a few things I'd like to customize but I can't find any information on it, neither in the manpage nor on the tabbed page on the suckless site, nor anywhere else.

Is it possible to have the list of tabs displayed vertically rather than horizontally, like many Firefox plugins do? It doesn't have to be in a tree view style, just a vertical list of tabs.
Also, every new tab gets immediately focused by default, is there any way to change this behaviour?

#2 2015-01-12 06:11:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Using tabbed with surf, a few questions

1. No. You'd need to patch it.
2. Read your config.h.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-01-12 09:30:06

captaincurrie

Re: Using tabbed with surf, a few questions

Grus wrote:

I'm using tabbed to get tab support for surf, with the command tabbed -e surf, and there are a few things I'd like to customize but I can't find any information on it, neither in the manpage nor on the tabbed page on the suckless site, nor anywhere else.

Is it possible to have the list of tabs displayed vertically rather than horizontally, like many Firefox plugins do? It doesn't have to be in a tree view style, just a vertical list of tabs.
Also, every new tab gets immediately focused by default, is there any way to change this behaviour?

If you hit Ctrl-t in tabbed, dmenu will open with a list of your open tabs to choose from. By default this opens a 'vertical list'.

In your tabbed config.h, set the foreground option to false (or true, one of them) and new tabs won't be immediately focused...

your welcome

ps. surf/tabbed can be 'extended' just by writing shell scripts that mess with the right window properties. For example, to navigate to "www.google.com" you do this,

xprop -id <xid of surf window> -f _SURF_GO 8s -set _SURF_GO "www.google.com"

Where _SURF_GO is a X-window property of the surf window. The xid is global in the surf source, so you can pass it to your script. Thats all you need.

You can do a lot with this. Check the scripts link on the surf homepage for examples.

Board footer