You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-27 20:16:02

cogo
Website

Mplayer does not like fullscreen after Xorg7 upgrade

Now I seen to have my system back up, but when I try to view some video files with mplayer in fullscreen, it won't work. The mplayer window goes fullscreen, but the image itself stays the same. I can't see any errors in the output in the console windows that I started mplayer from ... could it just be that the fglrx driver can't do this, or is it maybe something else that causes this?

#2 2006-02-27 20:21:58

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Mplayer does not like fullscreen after Xorg7 upgrade

I'm using fglrx and my mplayer resizes videos fine in fullscreen mode... not sure what's going on there.  Does an alternative video player (eg. xine) handle fullscreen correctly?

#3 2006-02-27 20:26:33

cogo
Website

That worked, but it was extremely slow. The following output may show whats wrong:

libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
video_out_opengl: compiled for BGRA output, but missing extension.
video_out_opengl: compiled for BGRA output, but missing extension.

#4 2006-02-27 20:39:13

cogo
Website

If I put

Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
EndSection

in xorg.conf, it works fine in xine, but it still won't do fullscreen in mplayer. sad

#5 2006-02-27 21:13:27

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you using the 'gl' renderer?  Give "xv" a shot, if you aren't using it.

#6 2006-02-27 21:38:27

cogo
Website

Now you have lost me. wink Is that something in the xorg.conf? Btw ... since I used aticonfig to generate the xorg.conf I have two Section "Device" and two Section "Screen". Is it so that the last one in the file is the one that is beeing used? Or are they put together as xorg parses the file? Do you know? Just thought I could remove some sections if they arent needed...

#7 2006-03-13 09:19:51

lakanta

Did anyone figure this one out. I just started having this problem, but only when I compile mplayer myself, through abs, which I need to do to get lirc support. It seems to be connected somehow to compiling against xorg7, since the mplayer I had compiled previous to xorg7 continued to work until a shared library broke, and I needed to recompile. I'm now stuck with either no mplayer, or an mplayer without lirc support.

Any help would be much appreciated, and hopefully this makes sense, since it is after 1am as I type this wink

Steve

#8 2006-03-13 12:46:33

brain0
Developer

cogo wrote:

Now I seen to have my system back up, but when I try to view some video files with mplayer in fullscreen, it won't work. The mplayer window goes fullscreen, but the image itself stays the same. I can't see any errors in the output in the console windows that I started mplayer from ... could it just be that the fglrx driver can't do this, or is it maybe something else that causes this?

I suspect you do not have the XVideo extension. Check the output of the command

xvinfo

#9 2006-03-16 04:36:54

josolanes

i also had this (or a very similar) problem with mplayer after using xorg 7.0.  i resized a video to fullscreen, which worked fine, but when i went back to "normal" size the video's box flickered for a second in "normal" size and disappeared...while mplayer continued playing it (or the sound atleast) without the video part showing up.  i tried all of the different video plugins (gl, gl2, xv, xvidx,...) to no avail. i deleted the ~/.mplayer/ folder too hoping that it was a config file problem or something and that didn't work. i then uninstalled it and reinstalled it...still nothing.

i've since switched to xine...it works just as well, works in normal and fullscreen perfectly fine, and gives me no problems at all smile

System Specs: Arch 0.7.1 (Noodle); Kernel=2.6.15-ARCH; Gnome; xorg-7.0 (w/3D!!)--Xgl wink; Dual Athlon MP 1800+; Asus A7M266-D mobo; 40GB (ATA 133); Audigy 2 Platinum; Radeon 9800 Pro (3D included big_smile)
Registered Linux user number 395691

Board footer