You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-21 18:15:57

apl

[SOLVED]Torrents blocked when connecting to certain VPN servers

I left the original message below, but issue is solved. My vpn provides port forwarding which took care of the problem.

Hi,
Just migrated to Arch Linux and am having a minor issue. I generated 3 country (United States, United Kingdom and Canada) configuration files for the vpn I use. In the previous distro I used (Tiny Core), I would set my iptables rules and connect using:

sudo openvpn US_UDP-443.ovpn

or

sudo openvpn UK_UDP-443.ovpn

or

sudo openvpn CA_UDP-443.ovpn

and all my traffic (internet and torrent) would be through the vpn. Now in Arch, only Canada behaves this way. The US and UK connections allow internet browsing but restrict all torrent traffic. At first I was concentrating on my iptables rules, but I can flush them and the problem remains. The same behavior is exhibited by two torrent clients (rtorrent and transmission) and the configuration files continue to work fine in Tiny Core, so I am thinking the problem is maybe openvpn/Arch related. Really I have no idea where to start, network issues have never been my strong point.

If I log in to the VPN site while connected to the vpn it does show the port number and ip I am connected with. The times I have checked the port numbers for the Canadien server have seemed higher (above 50000) then the other two (40000's). Do ports conflict? Again my knowledge is very limited when it comes to these things.

Thanks in advance for any help.
apl

Last edited by apl (2015-01-21 20:01:05)

Board footer