You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-23 20:52:10

FernandoBasso
Website

shell, problem with backspace and certain non-ascii characters.

Sometimes I can't type either ~ or ã. It doesn't seem to happen with ^ or ê, for instance. The problem is only "~".

Sometimes, when I use backspace to delete characters to the left of a command line, it stops deleting and I get some of the leftmost characters "stuck" and can't delete them, either using backspace or Ctrl+h. The same problem happens if I mv ~/.bashrc away.

After issuing `stty erase ^?` or simply hitting enter (and getting an error about an incorrect command because the command is indeed incomplete and plain wrong) it allows me to use backspace properly on the next few commands. Also, sometimes ~ or ã just start working again, sometimes it takes a little more commands (any command line stuff I might be doing at the moment) to make it go back to normal, and the cycle repeats endlessly.

mv'ing ~/.Xresources away, logout/login, and the problem persists.  So, it doesn't seem to be a Xresources or a bashrc problem.

I also tried with a fresh user account (with no config files whatsoever besides the ones copied automatically from /etc/skel/) and the the problem still happened.

The problem happens in urxvt, mate-terminal, xterm and even in tty. I also tried with all of them in the fresh account I created for testing purposes.

$ echo $SHELL && echo $TERM
/bin/bash
rxvt-unicode-256color

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$ uname -a
Linux localhost 3.18.2-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 9 07:37:51 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Board footer