You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-23 21:47:14

f1n

Problems connecting printer "Brother DCP-J552DW"

Hi there,
I have a problem and I hope it fits in the Newbe Corner smile

Before I bought the printer, I checked in the german Arch-Wiki and there it says, that drivers are supported by Brother so I hoped there wouldn't be a big issue. But now I'm not really able to get the configuration done, hope somebody can help me. So here is what I already did:

- Configuered cups
- Installed the driver: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-dcpj552dw/
  (printer was not connected during installation in any way, not sure if it should)
- Tried to add the printer in cups. There are two possibilities to choose, one offers a connection over lpd ("lpd://BRW1008B16CD1A4/BINARY_P1") and the other over dnssd. If I click "Continue", in both cases, it really takes some time and then I get the message "Add Printer Brother_DCP-J552DW Error - Unable to get list of printer drivers: - Success" and the printer is not listed after that.

What could I do now? If possible, I would like to get it working over wifi but if usb is the only chance I would also go with that. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance smile

#2 2015-01-24 04:21:24

Knute

Re: Problems connecting printer "Brother DCP-J552DW"

Well, if you want to use wifi, the first thing that occurs to me is whether or not your wifi is working, and whether or not it can see the printer when you do a scan over the wifi.
Also, at a guess, does your printer have an ip address?  I've seen a wifi printer, not a brother btw, but it had options for setting up an ip address.  So if it doesn't have an ip, how do you expect to find it on your network?

I hope that makes sense.

Knute

#3 2015-01-24 08:30:18

sandstorm

Did you try to connect via a wireless connection or via USB?
And which address did you use tofind the printer?

#4 2015-01-24 13:27:14

f1n

Thanks for the answers!

This morning I managed to get it working using usb. I did this plugging it in and reinstalled the driver from the repository..this was easy.

Now Wifi: At the moment it is connected over dhcp and I will change this later but it should be no problem at the moment. I know the IP and the wifi is working. If switch the printer off and try to add the printer with cups, I only get the printer with a connection using "dnssd" and not the one using lpd, if I switch it on I can see both as stated. So one can conclude, that cups can see the printer somehow, this is not the problem. If I click on continue it fails as I mentioned...

#5 2015-01-24 14:07:02

f1n

Ok it is working now. If anyone has the same problem, I missed this advise somehow:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU … er_drivers

After removing foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-db, foomatic-db-nonfree and hplip the printer is actually printing now smile I guess I can't print on hp-printers now but this is a minor problem.

Board footer