You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-28 22:45:32

Cotton

Slow filesystem response

Is there anyway to speed up file write accesses under reiser3.6?

Using:

ls -l ~userdir | wc -l

shows I have 387 files in the user directory, userdir.

ls -lR ~userdir | wc -l

shows over 120,000 files in various subdirectories below userdir.

Whenever I try to write to any subdirectory (including userdir), eg to save a file from a website using firefox, the dialogue box asking for the save location takes between 30 - 60 seconds to come up.  During this period, the disk light stays on continuously.
Similarly for mail deletions using Sylpheed, even just deleting one message can take an age, although sometimes can be instant.

It seems to be particularly slow when the main RAM is full and swap is being used.

I don't believe there is any problem with the disk but it would be nice to know of a way to improve write times.   Its as if every save/delete operation (as described above) needs to read the contents of the whole directory tree before it proceeds.  Shouldn't the file system maintain an index of the files continuously?

The disk is a 160 MB with a 8 MB RAM cache (Seagate Barracuda ST3160023A) with reiser3.6 under LVM.  Kernel is 2.6.15-ck4-ARCH

#2 2006-02-28 23:22:48

jaboua

Re: Slow filesystem response

Use the noatime mount option to avoid writing when the file was last accessed. Make sure you have DMA turned on if your disk supports it (that made my harddrive about 11x faster after some comparisons). If you can afford it, you might want to turn off tailpacking as well (faster, but uses more diskspace). That's the things I can think of...

Board footer