You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 15:08:11

qon

Problems running xfce (&icewm), issues with xorg...?

Hi,

I am making a 2. attempt at arch linux. I have installed arch on my laptop. The first problem I don't seem to be able to overcome without help is getting xorg working.

When i run startx the tty hangs. Its not even recovered by killing startx from another tty.

First i tried startx without exec. This is the exception in that it did not hang. Then i tried startex with "exec startxfce4" in the .xinitrc. I tried again after a reboot becouse of the message:
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
I made an additional attemt using icewm in place of xfce, it did also hang the tty.

My laptop has an integrated intel graphics chip, as well as a NVIDIA dedicated graphics card.
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [NVS 4200M] (rev a1)

At first I tried installing only the NVIDIA driver, but they did not load correctly, assuming I understand the logs. The same with the intel driver. As a result, xorg did not recognize my display. Therefore I have all of the following installed:
xf86-video-intel      xf86-video-nouveau  nvidia  xf86-video-vesa
When I explicitly installed the vesa driver, I did not see an error saying that no monitor was found.

In addition i have the following packages installed:
xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-xinit  xfce4 icewm

In addition I may have done
pacman -S xorg and chosen the default xf86-input-evdev

I have put the logs and such here:
http://folk.uio.no/henrikq/arch/xorg/

I have no idea what to do at this point, so help would be appreciated.

#2 2015-01-27 19:25:26

rebootl
Website

Re: Problems running xfce (&icewm), issues with xorg...?

Assuming this is an Optimus see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

I think you basically need to choose one of the options layed out in the article:

1 Disabling switchable graphics (if possible at all)
    2 Using nvidia
    4 Using nouveau
    5 Using Bumblebee

Read the entire article to become clearer... Then see the respective wiki of the option you choose.
I'd remove the already installed drivers and install only the one you need, according to the respective wiki.

Edit: I can't share specific experiences, since I don't have such a setup.

Last edited by rebootl (2015-01-27 19:28:54)

Personal website: reboot.li
GitHub: github.com/rebootl

#3 2015-01-30 11:49:02

qon

Thanks for the suggestions. Things have come up, and I won't have much time to try this out in the immediate future. I will be back in about a week.

#4 2015-03-04 11:50:36

qon

Sorry about the long absence, I have been busy.

I do indeed have Optimus. I had a friend look at the problem. He set me up with an .xinitrc and xorg.conf. We got stuck at black screen on startx. I have managed to account for all error but one:

[   111.205] (EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config section.

xrandr --listproviders, gives:

Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x2af cap: 0x1, Source Output crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-0
Provider 1: id: 0x43 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 2 outputs: 2 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

I have put log files etc here:
http://folk.uio.no/henrikq/arch/xorg2/

Board footer