You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-31 00:04:15

rabcor
Banned

[Soved] usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

Edit: This issue is old so it wasn't a recent kernel update that started causing it, this is something that's been around for a long time. For me this issue occurred because of a faulty Corsair M65 RGB mouse, apparently the problems I experienced with it are very common with this mouse model, so I'm guessing that the whole line is faulty. It worked fine on Windows when it had it's drivers installed so I'm guessing that the mouse  wasn't a huge fan of generic mouse drivers which was where the problems began. The issue stopped around the time I traded it out for a different mouse, but if anyone else is experiencing this, Staubsauger posted a hotfix solution in the below post.

Since some kernel update (I think somewhere in the 3.17 cycle, the earliest it could have been would be late in the 3.16 cycle I'd guess) I'm getting this message

[    11.983672] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1B12.0002: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

And I notice that my keyboard is not working, i.e. I can't log in from the terminal. (Since I am using a g15 series(g510) keyboard, I also noticed that if I initialize the g15daemon, i.e. a userspace driver, rather than the generic usb keyboard driver, the keyboard will start functioning as normal again. But this is not unique to my keyboard, the same thing happens even if I use a  USB keyboard as generic as they can get, from gigabyte, so I made sure that this is not just happening because I have a slightly unique type of keyboard)

This is happening right now on a fresh reinstall of linux everytime I boot. And in this case, I'm operating from the terminal mode and have not installed the 3rd party drivers for my keyboard. This has never happened before (the last kernel I used was either 3.15 or 3.16, so I would assume this was caused by some change from the 3.17 cycle)

The easy way to fix it is unplugging the keyboard, and then plugging it back in, keyboards work as expected after this. So while this is relatively easy to hotfix, and the problem may go away upon launching X (I haven't tested that yet though, but I suspect when evdev drivers are initialized, a generic keyboard would start working again) it can be quite annoying to say the least.

Anyone know what might be wrong or how to fix it? Is it a kernel bug?

Edit: I had the chance to and have now confirmed, that the keyboard does not initialize correctly after X is started and evedev is run. Moreover, I noticed that this bug applies to most likely all (generic) HIDs, since when I booted straight into X, the mouse was not able to move either.

Edit #2: I have found out that if I just wait for a while (like 30 seconds) the devices will start working. This makes this a bit less annoying, but annoying still.

Last edited by rabcor (2015-02-11 15:23:34)

#2 2015-02-07 09:08:35

Staubsauger

Re: [Soved] usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

Ok, I found a workaround. You have to go to /etc/default/ and edit the grub file. There you have to insert "usbhid.quirks=0x1B1C:0x1B12:0x20000000" in the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" line.

So /etc/default/grub has to look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=376b974a-9cc7-4a48-9e6a-de19471107f2 usbhid.quirks=0x1B1C:0x1B12:0x20000000 quiet splash"

then run "sudo update-grub" and reboot.

#3 2015-02-11 15:17:51

rabcor
Banned

Re: [Soved] usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1

Thanks Staubsauger, I don't know exactly why but this stopped happening to me (my guess if I think of it is that I changed my mouse, the corsair mouse I had was flawed, it double clicked twice sometimes, and apparently that was a common problem. I haven't noticed this since I changed to another mouse), so I won't get a chance to try out your fix.

I guess we can mark this as solved smile

Board footer