You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-31 22:15:32

cdrjameson

[SOLVED]Uninstalling catalyst problem

I have uninstalled catalyst as per the catalyst wiki. I have followed the 6 bullets on that page that state:

• If you have the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-radeon.conf file remove it or comment the line blacklist radeon in that file.

• If you have a file in /etc/modules-load.d to load the fglrx module on boot, remove it or comment the line containing fglrx.

• Make sure to remove or backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

• If you have installed the catalyst-hook package, make sure to disable the systemd service.

• If you used the nomodeset option in your kernel parameters and plan to use KMS, remove it.

• Reboot before installing another driver.

When I rebooted my system hung at      [   ok   ] ... Reached target Graphical Interface.
Suspecting xorg and intel igp issues I chrooted into my system and re-installed the xorg-server package and made sure I had the xf86-video-intel package as well. Upon reboot I still hang at the same place. Where else can I look for the problem?

P.S. My systemd services that I rely on i.e. plex are up and running at this point.

my pacman.conf only has the [core][extra][community][multilib] repos enabled I have commented out the [catalyst] repo and done a $ pacman -Syy.
I have no files under /etc/modprobe.d/
I have removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I have disabled the catalyst-hook package and none of the enabled services have anything to do with catalyst / ati or graphics.
I dont plan on using KMS so I have left the nomodeset in my /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf file.
I have rebooted and failed...

Last edited by cdrjameson (2015-01-31 23:03:10)

#2 2015-01-31 23:06:55

cdrjameson

Re: [SOLVED]Uninstalling catalyst problem

So I missed this line of the intel graphics wiki page.

Make sure you do not have nomodeset or vga= as a kernel parameter, since Intel requires kernel mode-setting.

deleting the nomodeset option from my /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf file fixed it for me.

This feels like a milestone in my linux life, I sorted something out for myself. Admittedly I casued the problem in the first place but I also fixed it. smile

Board footer