You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-02 06:58:36

RaDeuX
Website

Xorg....

Well GRUB is really difficult to me. I tell it to boot from hd(0,1), but it wants to boot from (hd1,1) for some strange reason. So I've decided to go with LILO, the easier one. I get an error saying

LILO installation failed. See /dev/tty5 for output.

After awhile I got it to say that it was successfully installed, but it just boots me to windows. Very, very, annoying.

So /dev/hdb is my main hard drive. /dev/hdb1 is my Windows partition. /dev/hdb2 is my Arch Linux partition. /dev/hdb3 is something that I don't know about. /dev/hdb5 is my swap partition.

I typed boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hdb2

There shouldn't be any probelm here, I think... What should I do?

Thanks in advance. smile

#2 2006-03-02 07:16:00

mtrivs

Re: Xorg....

You can find out how to use either LILO or GRUB by looking at the archlinux wiki.  There is tons of information on almost anything:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lilo

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#3 2006-03-02 08:30:45

dauphin

Do you have other hard drives (is there a /dev/hda)?

If you have more than one hard drive, which one is the BIOS set to look for first - where is the BIOS expecting to find the MBR?

Where did you install GRUB to; was it to the MBR (hd0)?  Did the GRUB screen come up when you booted and if so what error message did you get?  I don't understand when you say it wants to boot from (hd1,1).  GRUB will try to boot what ever partition you tell it to boot and if that is not possible you will get an error code.

#4 2006-03-02 23:34:22

RaDeuX
Website

I only have one hard drive. For some reason it's /dev/hdb, but oh well. I changed to LILO bootloader. I got ArchLinux installed, but I need the X11 thingy, because all I see is a bunch of colorful text with a black background. Windows also disappeared on me. Windows should be on /dev/hdb1, but I don't know how to reconfigure the lilo.conf file. I just need to add Windows to the list, add X11 and I'm all set. Thanks for your help!

#5 2006-03-03 00:58:25

lilsirecho
Veteran

Radeaux;

Because your hard driveia labelled hdb, it would seem your primary hdd connector is connected to a cdrom device which takes awa y hda and leaves the first hdd assignment as hdb (in slave position).  Other than that, the cause could be that your BIOS setting is for hdb boot.  That can be determined by inspection of the BIOS usually accessed prior to boot with a delete entry. I realize this is an elementary statement but is not meant to be anything but helpful.

I would assume you know that the cdrom connection as above stated would result in very slow performance from the hdd.

Welcome to archlinux and search the forums for Lilo info for the windows config in lilo.  The X info is recently changed to xorg.  You haven't stated the version of arch you installed.

Much arch info for the install is included in the installCD and was written by the developer of pacman in arch...Judd Vinet.

Dauphin is a great helper....

Best to you...

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2006-03-03 03:57:24

RaDeuX
Website

Okay, so I finally got LILO working. I had to type in /sbin/lilo to save the changes I guess. Now all I need to do is install xorg. I burned X11R6.9.0src.tar.gz on a disk and tried to install it from there, but it said:

load_pkg: missing package file info

Maybe I should try X11R7.0 and see what happens....

#7 2006-03-03 04:27:23

mtrivs

if your connected to the internet you should be able to just typeas root:

pacman -Syu

or

pacman -Sy xorg

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-1.5GB RAM
-80GB 5400RPM HD

#8 2006-03-03 06:22:06

mpie

RaDeuX wrote:

Okay, so I finally got LILO working. I had to type in /sbin/lilo to save the changes I guess. Now all I need to do is install xorg. I burned X11R6.9.0src.tar.gz on a disk and tried to install it from there, but it said:

load_pkg: missing package file info

Maybe I should try X11R7.0 and see what happens....

can see why, you tried with just the source archive, if you want to use pacman to install then you need a pkg or to create apkgbuuild to use the source
all arch packages are name like so
foo-1.0.0.pkg.tar.gz

#9 2006-03-03 07:09:53

RaDeuX
Website

Okay, so I have linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3.tar.gz, but I have no clue how to open it. So if I use apkgbuuild I'll be able to make it into a package?

#10 2006-03-03 09:28:35

mtrivs

First, read these docs for package management:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … Management

Second, in short, to install packages made from PKGBUILDs you use the following command as root:

pacman -U packagename.pkg.tar.gz

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-1.5GB RAM
-80GB 5400RPM HD

#11 2006-03-03 16:00:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

If youintend to use pacman, first steps are

pacman -Sy pacman

You will get a message asking for pacman.cache to be installed.  This is necessary for pacman to receive the .tar.gz packages prior to install, the install follows automatically after the tar has been downloaded.

The exact version of arch you are installing has not been presented, 2.4 or 2.6?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#12 2006-03-03 16:41:35

jaboua

If you still want to give grub a shot, maybe try using "hd0" instead of "hd1"  since grub counts which harddrive number it is (the number is according to the BIOS bootorder, I take advantage of this to make windows boot of a slave harddrive), not which IDE device it is.

#13 2006-03-04 02:52:49

RaDeuX
Website

I have 0.7 Arch Linux, the newest one (Noodle). I'm using linux kernel 2.6 right now. Okay, so my main problem right now is that in the Arch Linux wireless guide, it tells me to do

pacman -S wireless_tools

but I don't have internet connection, so I don't know how it's going to work.

Also, I downloaded linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3.tar.gz, but Pacman won't open it because it's not a pkg file. How do I open this file?

#14 2006-03-04 06:00:12

jaboua

RaDeuX wrote:

I have 0.7 Arch Linux, the newest one (Noodle). I'm using linux kernel 2.6 right now. Okay, so my main problem right now is that in the Arch Linux wireless guide, it tells me to do

pacman -S wireless_tools

but I don't have internet connection, so I don't know how it's going to work.

Also, I downloaded linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3.tar.gz, but Pacman won't open it because it's not a pkg file. How do I open this file?

run "pacman -Sp wireless_tools" so see what pacman want to download, then use a livecd, windows or another computer to download the package(s) somewhere and install them with "pacman -A package1 package2 package3"

About the other package, it may have to be compiled.

#15 2006-03-04 06:27:10

RaDeuX
Website

How do I compile the file?

#16 2006-03-04 15:26:57

jaboua

Either do it the arch way and download a PKGBUILD that will do it all for you, or the manual way:

tar -zxf linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3.tar.gz
cd some-folder-name-where-the-source-was-unpacked
./configure
make
su -c "make install"

Replace "./configure" with for example "./configure --prefix=/opt/wireless" or "./configure --prefix=/usr" to install to different paths - for Arch packages the standard would be /usr, without any prefix it is /usr/local. Make sure that it is included in the PATH variablle in /etc/profile if you install to a custom path like in /opt/wireless.

You can also replace " su -c "make install" " with "creapkg" if you have it installed, to generate an Arch package - but that requiere packages from AUR so you should wait untill you get network.

To do it the Arch way:
download a PKGBUILD (dunno where to fetch this one without "abs")
create a folder
put the source and the PKGBUILD in that folder and cd into it
su
makepkg -i

then it should be installed[/code]

#17 2006-03-05 19:58:25

RaDeuX
Website

I'm still really confused. tar -zxf or tar -zxvf still doesn't work. And I don't understand what PKGBUILD is, and can't find information on it except for CVS and SVN. Is PKGBUILD supposed to be a prototype?

#18 2006-03-06 00:12:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

PKGBUILD is the prep necessary for arch's pacman to accept pkg formats which can be managed bypacman.

There is a PROTO located in /var/abs.  It is the framework for making a pacman compatible pkg which is generated after setting in the details in PKGBUILD by running makepkg.  The pkg thus generated will appear in the directory wherein PKGBUILD was operated on with.... makepkg..command.

Many examples of PKGBUILDS appear in the forums.  Check out those in the AUR section which may be simpler than most.

If your present arch has a PKGBUILD in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26, it should give some insight into the details.

Also the wiki has details concerning PKGBUILDS.

A simple example of a PKGBUILD is the one for rpm2cpio which you can find by using search on the arch forums.

Always, they generate through ..makepkg..pacman compatible .tar.gz pkgs which enable pacman to install with ...pacman -A  (paste name of pkg.tar.gz)

Best to you...

#19 2006-03-06 01:00:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Check out the following post;

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=18110

Board footer