You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-03 12:47:05

ConnyOnny

/sys/class/backlight works, xbacklight not

Hi,

on my laptop (Lenovo Z50-75), I can set the backlight brightness via /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness, but xbacklight says "No outputs have backlight property".

The hardware:
A dual-graphics setup with the AMD FX7500 CPU with respective GPU and AMD Radeon R7 M255.

Driver: open source radeon driver.

xrandr --props|grep -i backl

gives no output

How can I make X find and use the backlight setting?

Last edited by ConnyOnny (2015-02-04 09:49:51)

#2 2015-02-03 13:01:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: /sys/class/backlight works, xbacklight not

ConnyOnny wrote:

How can I make X find and use the backlight setting?

I don't think you can.

You could try using the proprietary driver instead:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst/

On my AMD laptop, the backlight keys work (with the non-proprietary driver) if xfce4-power-manager is running; I'm not at all sure why...

#3 2015-02-03 13:22:38

ConnyOnny

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I don't think you can.

You could try using the proprietary driver instead

I don't intend to give up so easily.

I get events with acpi_listen:

$ acpi_listen
video/brightnessup BRTUP 00000086 00000000
video/brightnessdown BRTDN 00000087 00000000

and I CAN set the backlight brightness via the /sys/class/backlight files. So there IS a solution to control my backlight, even with the keys, i.e. as described in this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1449243

My problem is, that some scripts I like use xbacklight for backlight control and I'd like to be able to use that.

My last resort solution would be programming an xbacklight replacement, which doesn't use the X infrastructure but directly sets the brightness as described above.

EDIT: But I would really prefer a clean solution, where X knows what's going on.

Last edited by ConnyOnny (2015-02-03 13:23:38)

#4 2015-02-03 13:35:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

My Intel laptop had no support for `xbacklight` until kernel 3.16 so I think it must be related to kernel support.

Have you tried the various kernel parameters?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ne_options

#5 2015-02-03 14:28:34

ConnyOnny

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you tried the various kernel parameters?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba … ne_options

I thought these didn't apply because I can set the backlight via /sys/class... and there is no /sys/class/backlight/acpi backlight dummy controller created.

However I now tested the kernel parameters and it changed nothing.

#6 2015-02-03 15:39:08

ConnyOnny

ConnyOnny wrote:

I CAN set the backlight brightness via the /sys/class/backlight files. So there IS a solution to control my backlight, even with the keys, i.e. as described in this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1449243

It's set up now like this and works. I am still not happy because xbacklight still doesn't work. Can I mark a thread as "somewhat solved"? big_smile

#7 2015-02-03 15:46:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Not really, you wanted to use `xbacklight` tongue

Maybe a kernel upgrade will allow this option in the future -- if so you can mark it "[SOLVED]" then.

#8 2015-02-03 22:09:21

ConnyOnny

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what the kernel has to do with it. I mean the kernel provides an interface to control the backlight (via /sys/class/backlight). Why does X backlight control not just use that? Why does X not use the available way to control the backlight? Furthermore, how does X normally control the backlight? Why does it bypass kernel infrastructure anyways? I'd really like to look at the X source code for backlight control, but I'm afraid of looking at the X source code. hmm

#9 2015-02-03 23:50:43

teateawhy
Website

This post might be superfluous, given that you have already read the wiki page about backlight. In the chance that you have not tried it yet:

wiki wrote:

All methods are exposed to the user through /sys/class/backlight and xrandr/xbacklight can choose one method to control brightness. It is still not very clear which one xbacklight prefers by default.
Note: See FS#27677 for xbacklight, if you get "No outputs have backlight property." There is a temporary fix if xrandr/xbacklight does not choose the right directory in /sys/class/backlight: You can specify the one you want in xorg.conf by setting the "Backlight" option of the Device section to the name of that directory (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=651741 at the bottom of the page for details).

So maybe try setting the directory '/sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness' in xorg.conf ?

#10 2015-02-04 09:48:53

Raynman

The wiki page is incorrect (and pretty messy). Last time I checked (the source), xbacklight only uses the RandR backlight property (two versions with different capitalization IIRC) and the radeon developers didn't want to support that (there's a bug report somewhere). And AFAIK the "Backlight" option that you can set in xorg.conf is a custom option invented for the intel driver (to control which device is exposed through the RandR interface), but it is of course possible that others decide to use it too.

#11 2015-02-04 09:57:53

ConnyOnny

I've now tried many different device sections. I kind of guessed the pci ids from this output.

$ lspci | grep ATI
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6/R7 Graphics]
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri HDMI/DP Audio Controller
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Jet PRO [Radeon R5 M230] (rev ff)

This one worked (i.e. let me still start X)

Section "Device"
        Identifier "card0"
        Option "Backlight" "radeon_bl0"
        Driver "ati"
        BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

However in the Xorg log it says:

[  4841.776] (WW) RADEON(G0): Option "Backlight" is not used
[  4841.951] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "Backlight" is not used

This makes sense under the assumption, that the "Backlight" option is an intel driver thing.

When I use BusID "PCI:1:0:0", X can't find any screens.

However I maybe found some other interesting thing:

]$ systemctl list-units | grep -i backl
● systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service                                          loaded failed failed    Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0
● systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video1.service                                          loaded failed failed    Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video1
  systemd-backlight@backlight:radeon_bl0.service                                           loaded active exited    Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:radeon_bl0
  system-systemd\x2dbacklight.slice                                                        loaded active active    system-systemd\x2dbacklight.slice

#12 2015-02-04 10:20:07

ConnyOnny

Is it true, that the xf86-video-ati devs see xbacklight as a deprecated method for setting the backlight? How are DEs supposed to set it? Via /sys/class/backlight?

If this is the case, I'll just have to update my scripts to use the NewMethod™, whatever it is.

Board footer