You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-12 01:54:59

Gamonics
Website

[SOLVED] pacman-disowned files

The pacman tips wiki article mentions a simple script for finding installed files that are not part of any package.

Seems like a great idea, but I just installed in the last 24 hours, and that script is finding exactly 2004 files, including things like:

/etc/adjtime
/etc/ca-certificates/* (like 600+ files here)
/etc/ssl/certs/* (another 600+ files here)
/usr/share/mime/application/* (~200 files here)
/usr/share/mime/x-content/*

I have only 17 packages installed other than those in base and base-devel, including things like expac, efibootmgr, grub, openssh, xorg-server, vim, emacs, and a few others. I have only 3 AUR packages: b43-firmware, package-query, and yaourt (the last two of which are suggested by the pacman tips article I listed above). I've done none of the typical

./configure && make && make install

type of installs, so 2004 files that are not included in any package seems wrong to me, but I don't have much experience in Arch to go on. I noticed this very old thread that lists a much longer script by ibendiben that I only glanced at. There is discussion in it on getting a version of the script included in pacman-contrib. Is the script (pacman-disowned) in the wiki article a bit stale maybe? Is that why it's finding thousands of disowned files less than 24 hours after a fresh install? Or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Gamonics (2015-02-12 02:56:58)

#2 2015-02-12 02:33:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] pacman-disowned files

That looks perfectly normal.  Those are just files that are created rather than being part of the initial package.  It is good to keep an eye out for unmanaged files, but there are a few locations where they are expected - while you have a large number of these files (also typical) they are just in a couple places (mostly ca-certs).  If you start seeing unmanaged files where they shouldn't be (e.g. /usr/bin/) then it would be worth investigating further.

Last edited by Trilby (2015-02-12 02:35:52)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-02-12 02:56:33

Gamonics
Website

Re: [SOLVED] pacman-disowned files

Thanks, Trilby. Good to know.

Board footer