You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 04:03:50

fladi

Special Arch Installatiuon - Advise needed

Good morning gentlemen,

I want to install a very minimalistic Arch on my notebook without any DE like XFCE or LXDE. So I need an advice. I want to boot into a terminal and then type e.g. "firefox" or "thunderbird" and the web browser or email client opens. So which packages do I need ? I think these must do:

base, base-devel, openbox, xsession, xorg, xorg-init, xf86-video-ati (I ve got an AMD Radeon notebook), xterm and pulseaudio for sound, right ?

Thanx. Regards.

#2 2015-02-13 04:10:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Special Arch Installatiuon - Advise needed

Nothing special about this, really. The Beginners' Guide and the Openbox page are all you will need...

Moving to NC.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-02-13 04:14:33

nullified

You have to boot into some graphical environment if you're going to use firefox. If you've chosen openbox, read the wiki on how to set it up. It shouldn't be too difficult to learn how to log into openbox, have a terminal emulator auto start, and then run firefox from there. I think this is roughly what you're after. In that case, read through the beginner guide to get a minimal install. Then read through the graphical interface section of the general recommendations wiki (and the other parts of that page!). Then read the pages about openbox/display manager/starting x, etc..

You need most of the packages you list, but not all. If you read through the beginner's guide and the general recommendations you should have no problem getting your system set up the way you want it.

Last edited by nullified (2015-02-13 04:15:01)

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#4 2015-02-13 04:54:20

frank604

Choose just a WM.  Popular ones are i3, dwm, awesome (just to name a few).  You will need X to run graphical apps like firefox and thunderbird.  If you choose a WM, you can bind keyboard shortcuts to open the apps you want.  For example, for firefox you can do Shift + Meta + W.  Look through the wiki and forums and try different things until you figure out what you want.  Once you get a sense of what you like and not like, you can refine your question.  Your post, as it stands, is very vague and you want us to read your mind and suggest a landscape of apps for you.

#5 2015-02-13 07:29:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm amused by the idea that an Arch install without any DE is special. smile

Just an observation, feel free to ignore me....

Board footer