You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 16:44:55

JamieKitson
Website

Plasma 5 App Issues

Hi,

I don't use KDE/Plasma but I do use Gwenview. Since upgrading Gwenview to the Plasma 5 version I am no longer able to drag and drop (from Gwenview to Firefox) and there is an issue with my tiling WM (dwm) where if I click on Gwenview when it's the window stack it jumps to the master window position. For now I have downgraded Gwenview, but obviously this is not ideal. Are these issues likely a) caused by the fact that I am not using Plasma and b) permanent?

Thanks, Jamie

#2 2015-02-13 17:54:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Plasma 5 App Issues

a) No b) Most certainly not, at least the mouse drag to move view around problems are slated to be fixed with 5.2.1, not sure about drag'n'drop functionality but I doubt it's intentional

Last edited by V1del (2015-02-13 17:56:11)

#3 2015-02-13 21:54:18

JamieKitson
Website

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why is this version in [extra] and not [testing] if it's still got such a lot of issues?

#4 2015-02-13 21:55:44

arojas
Developer

JamieKitson wrote:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why is this version in [extra] and not [testing] if it's still got such a lot of issues?

Because this was in testing for a long time and nobody reported anything because nobody uses [testing] maybe?

#5 2015-02-14 08:59:18

JamieKitson
Website

Apparently the drap and drop issue is a regression in GT 5.4:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-43436

#6 2015-02-19 15:07:27

JamieKitson
Website

Apparently the issue in dwm is caused by _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, patch for dwm and explanation.

#7 2015-03-05 12:09:52

JKAbrams

Despite their "don't break the desktop" touting the "update" to kf5 applications got us back to the launch of kde4 in terms of bugs and issues. KDE has a real problem with QA and bug testing before things get labeled "stable" which is what Arch follows. Arch users are all beta testers for KDE.

#8 2015-03-05 12:56:52

JamieKitson
Website

I have to agree. Despite the four issues I originally encountered now being solved in one way or another I still can't use the new version of Gwenview because it doesn't display portrait images correctly for me:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343044

#9 2015-03-05 13:32:37

JKAbrams

Yes, gwenview kf5 is just a mess of bugs in its current state. IMHO it should not have left testing.
For me it can't browse files, kipi plugins are not availiable, drag drop doesn't work, it gives a lot of "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly.", it has problems with kdeconnect and the cropping feature is buggy. This is just from limited use of the program.

#10 2015-03-05 13:39:01

JamieKitson
Website

Drag and drop should have been fixed with the recent release of QT 5.4.1. Try updating qt5-base.

#11 2015-03-06 20:10:38

JKAbrams

JamieKitson wrote:

Drag and drop should have been fixed with the recent release of QT 5.4.1. Try updating qt5-base.

Well, it doesn't work for me... I've got qt5-base 5.4.1-2. Did you do something special to make it work?
For me, drag and drop has become twitchy in all of KDE, it often takes a few tries to get the green plus symbol, in some applications like Gwenview it doesn't work at all. I've also started getting problems with KIO over SFTP, Kwrite having trouble opening files and cutting files from remote directory does not work, plus random errors.

#12 2015-03-07 21:57:52

tekwyzrd

JKAbrams wrote:

Despite their "don't break the desktop" touting the "update" to kf5 applications got us back to the launch of kde4 in terms of bugs and issues. KDE has a real problem with QA and bug testing before things get labeled "stable" which is what Arch follows. Arch users are all beta testers for KDE.

The problem with KDE is the result of the attitude of the individuals in control and the devs. Why bother reporting a bug when at best it will take eight months to resolve or worst case be marked "WONTFIX"? Why bother commenting on changes when some dev or moderator will browbeat anyone who disagrees with the trend and delete comments and lock threads? Personal experience with all of them.

Gnome, KDE, and Firefox all have a major user disconnect problem.

#13 2015-03-08 05:53:30

JKAbrams

tekwyzrd wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

The problem with KDE is the result of the attitude of the individuals in control and the devs. Why bother reporting a bug when at best it will take eight months to resolve or worst case be marked "WONTFIX"? Why bother commenting on changes when some dev or moderator will browbeat anyone who disagrees with the trend and delete comments and lock threads? Personal experience with all of them.

Gnome, KDE, and Firefox all have a major user disconnect problem.

Well, I can't speak about how bug reports are handled or single dev's decisions as I don't have much experience the development. But I do have a lot of respect for what KDE has accomplished with the limited recourses that it has, and looking at the path KDE as a project is taking I see the fruits of sound leadership and decision making. KF5 is a really good idea and KIO is a wonderful concept, just to name a two things.

I just feel that perhaps ambition levels are set to high. Chasing ever higher goalposts without ever really reaching them fully (the feeling of 'bug free' for most users). To be able to make the KF5 transition and to reserve maintainer recourses, support for KDE4 applications is being dropped.

We almost had a stable KDE4 but before we even really got there, KF5 is happening and we're back to breakage of basic functionality for all users.

Perhaps it all just comes down to the fact that we as developers always think it's more fun to code new features than fixing time-consuming or obscure bugs. If that's the case we (as users) really have nothing to complain about, free people do whatever they like to do, and if they choose to contribute their time to free software  then users have no right to demand anything more. But if we accept this ambitions of projects like KDE might need to be adjusted to correspond with what recourses are available and what is actually achievable.

#14 2015-03-08 12:24:12

Llama
Banned

JKAbrams wrote:

We almost had a stable KDE4 but before we even really got there, KF5 is happening and we're back to breakage of basic functionality for all users.

KF5 is better than KDE 4.0. Beyond compare, I have to say.

#15 2015-03-08 20:00:14

JKAbrams

Llama wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

KF5 is better than KDE 4.0. Beyond compare, I have to say.

Better needs qualifying.

Organization
It's better organized. It's based on qt5 which I just presume is better than qt4.

Look
The applications look a little different, I can't really see if that is better or not than the previous look, to me it's just different (like fashion).

Quality
The quality of these KF5 applications (today!) is not better, there are more bugs that are in your face (experienced by more or less all users). As I can't see any real differences beyond fashion in the applications themselves (gwenview, kate, kwrite, konsole), this is what I as a user care about.

Upgrade comparison
Or perhaps you're talking about the upgrade from KDE3 to KDE4 compared to from KDE4 to KF5, this is also better this time around by huge margin.

Note: I have only experience with the KF5 applications that has been released as stable for Arch so far.

#16 2015-03-08 22:03:09

Llama
Banned

JKAbrams wrote:

Upgrade comparison
Or perhaps you're talking about the upgrade from KDE3 to KDE4 compared to from KDE4 to KF5, this is also better this time around by huge margin.

I mean upgrade, yes. As painless as you please.

#17 2015-03-10 12:08:10

tekwyzrd

Llama wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

Upgrade comparison

I mean upgrade, yes. As painless as you please.

I don't consider having to rename my user directory and copy skel just to get the desktop to load 'painless'.

Board footer