You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-04 21:45:18

Infinite

E17 problem

Hi :shock:

I'm new to Arch (and to the Arch Linux forums of course) and I must say that I'm loving it so far ( spent 8 days with Arch so far).

This is the third Linux distribution that I'm familiar with (FC4, Slackware .. did not like Slack .. went back to FC4).

So far I was able to get almost every Desktop Environment, Window Manager, Display Manager and Login Manager to work on Arch. Except for E17 and Entrance.

I've installed the base packages and went on from there.
I installed Xorg  (few related packages as well), xdm and a nvidia driver for my Asus Geforce2 card (respectively) after a pacman and system upgrade.

Next steps:

nvidia-xconfig

and

pacman -Sy e17

(utilizing fouiny's repo)

and changed the config files (~/.xinitrc , xinitrc, rc.conf , xorg.conf) accordingly. I did nothing however with the e17 packages. I don't know what to do with them after the initial installation with pacman. I had some problems before with Xorg7 but I was able to find a solution in the wiki pages.

I've tried to get E17 to boot up like this:

startx

However, it throws me back to vc1 (it does display the nvidia logo though) and xorg doesn't give  any output whatsoever (nor does E btw) which could indicate that something went wrong. I've checked the log files in /var/log as well, nothing really worth mentioning (not even a warning > i.e. no WW nor EE).

I've also tried to boot in entranced by putting it in the daemons section (rc.conf) and rebooted with init 5 as the default boot prefix. It boots up xdm instead.

I didn't really like xdm so I installed SLiM. It worked perfectly with every other WM's, DM's etc. No go for E17.

When I try to get it to work just by typing it in the CLI:

[rob@archbox]$ enlightenment

It's saying something about that it doesn't have a DISPLAY variable to work with.
After some googling I thought this would solve the problem:

$DISPLAY= my.ip.here:0.0

No luck.

Did I miss something?

I really, really want E17 no matter what. I'm willing to learn something new. Please help me out.

btw. I'm Dutch so you've undoubtly seen some minor (major ?) grammar/spelling mistakes  8)  lol.

Cheers,

Rob.

#2 2006-03-04 23:47:28

ady

Re: E17 problem

First make shure X works right with any other wm. If that works ~/.xinitrc should be
exec /path/to/enlightenment
It should work just fine if X is ok.

#3 2006-03-05 08:46:40

bdptcob

Run echo $PATH and see if /opt/e17/bin is in there. Most likely you'll need to manually add it.

#4 2006-03-05 11:27:17

Infinite

X works pefectly. I'm currently using Gnome right now. SLiM, btw, generates an enormous log file full of warnings. Gnome, nevertheless, works perfectly. I hate it though when I know that my setup isn't pefect.

When I try to get E17 up it returns me to vc1 and the information I get is that it determined a Display prefix and that' s it. Very strange.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Cheers,

Rob.

#5 2006-03-05 12:00:11

Infinite

Strange, whenever I try to launch a program that' s related to GTK it stops.

Can't open display

For instance, GTK-Gnutella and GAIM.

#6 2006-03-05 13:41:22

jaboua

Infinite wrote:

Strange, whenever I try to launch a program that' s related to GTK it stops.

Can't open display

For instance, GTK-Gnutella and GAIM.

Does gnome still work? Have you checked the path as someone else suggested?

#7 2006-03-05 16:28:25

Infinite

Yup,

It should be;

/opt/e17/bin/enlightenment

and so it was.

Gnome still works, it' s fast and it does what I want. I was eager to try E17 though. I love my setup right now, already have some interesting programs running like  Gaim-2.0 beta2, conky, evolution and some other very interesting programs. I'll stay with Gnome for the time being. 

Cheers,

Rob.

Board footer