You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-20 17:11:13

sm0ky
Member
From: New York City
Registered: 2015-02-20
Posts: 4

[Solved] Can you identify this font?

What font do we have here?  My eyes seem to click with it nicely.  (And if not too off-topic, the theme?)

I'd also like to greet and thank both the community and the developers.  Arch is a massive breathe of fresh air for a lifelong windows user.  Seriously, thank you!

LinumSeparatorNewApproach

Last edited by sm0ky (2015-02-20 19:38:48)

Offline

#2 2015-02-20 18:08:41

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,163
Website

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

It's the same font I use in my terminal: otf-hermit (technically, you'll find it under "Hermit Light" once you've installed it, but that's not the point).

No idea about the theme at current.

Last edited by clfarron4 (2015-02-20 18:09:12)


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#3 2015-02-20 19:34:08

sm0ky
Member
From: New York City
Registered: 2015-02-20
Posts: 4

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

clfarron4 wrote:

It's the same font I use in my terminal: otf-hermit (technically, you'll find it under "Hermit Light" once you've installed it, but that's not the point). ...

This.  Thank you, clfarron4!

I do a fair amount of statistical work and find the distinguishability of the numbers from other, similar characters here to be excellent.  My only concern is with readablity, especially when having to skim through many lines.  I'll have to test later with some poorly indented code smile.

For anyone else interested, Hacker News has a broader discussion on the font and programming fonts in general: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6354396.

Last edited by sm0ky (2015-02-20 19:53:11)

Offline

#4 2015-02-22 08:18:55

sm0ky
Member
From: New York City
Registered: 2015-02-20
Posts: 4

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

Update:

Hermit.  Like an unattractive girl with a deceptively attractive facebook picture.

That's how I feel after <em>trying</em> to code with it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a well-intentioned endeavor that attempts to tackle a lot -- "Every glyph was carefully planned and calculated." But step back for a minute, take off the monocle and try to write/read something even remotely expressive/verbose and behold - Klingon! Reading into closures had me feeling like Chris Tucker meeting Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 1.  I could read comments faster in Wingdings than with this font!  I don't know much about typography, but this font is missing some kind of 'flow' element.  Needless to say, Hermit is neither practical nor flexible as a font for coding.  You <em>may</em> enjoy it in the terminal, for scripting or if your code is tacit and rather terse, but there are much better options IMO.

Offline

#5 2015-02-22 12:04:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,838
Website

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

Have you tried Terminus?

I find it to be the most readable of all the bitmap fonts.

Offline

#6 2015-02-22 14:55:58

ANOKNUSA
Member
Registered: 2010-10-22
Posts: 2,141

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

sm0ky wrote:

Update:

Hermit.  Like an unattractive girl with a deceptively attractive facebook picture.

That's how I feel after <em>trying</em> to code with it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a well-intentioned endeavor that attempts to tackle a lot -- "Every glyph was carefully planned and calculated." But step back for a minute, take off the monocle and try to write/read something even remotely expressive/verbose and behold - Klingon! Reading into closures had me feeling like Chris Tucker meeting Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 1.  I could read comments faster in Wingdings than with this font!  I don't know much about typography, but this font is missing some kind of 'flow' element.  Needless to say, Hermit is neither practical nor flexible as a font for coding.  You <em>may</em> enjoy it in the terminal, for scripting or if your code is tacit and rather terse, but there are much better options IMO.

You posted a screenshot of the font. There are seven screenshots of the font on the website, plus the one you posted here. You seemed to think all those were fine, and didn't have a problem with the font until you installed it on your system with your font configuration. Maybe the typeface designer doesn't need to "take off the monocle and try to write/read something," since the font designer has obviously done that already, and there are clearly at least two people who think it's great. Just a thought. Another thought: HTML tags don't work on BBS boards.

Offline

#7 2015-02-23 02:04:19

sm0ky
Member
From: New York City
Registered: 2015-02-20
Posts: 4

Re: [Solved] Can you identify this font?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you tried Terminus?

I find it to be the most readable of all the bitmap fonts.

Absolutely, I agree.  It's what I currently use (along with a power-combo of Open Sans Semibold & Ubuntu for GUI/text).

ANOKNUSA wrote:

You posted a screenshot of the font. There are seven screenshots of the font on the website, plus the one you posted here. You seemed to think all those were fine, and didn't have a problem with the font until you installed it on your system with your font configuration. Maybe the typeface designer doesn't need to "take off the monocle and try to write/read something," since the font designer has obviously done that already, and there are clearly at least two people who think it's great. Just a thought. Another thought: HTML tags don't work on BBS boards.

Thanks for the heads up on the tags.  I'll keep that in mind next time.

Okay. I think you misunderstood a few things here. That's alright.  Please re-read my post in the context of it being an opinionated review. Note that the first metaphor is illustrating the disparity I experienced in 'seeing vs using' the font.  Also, assume the reader (you) to be the subject in the 'write/read' sentence.  As for the 2 people with opinions on record, well, I guess I'm glad to be the third.

If you still require something a bit more objective or you need specifics on my font testing methodology or reassurance of a properly configured system, feel free to message me.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB