You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-22 15:09:25

zenten

Can't get a network connection on my new computer

So, I while back (been busy to do lots of troubleshooting) I bought a desktop computer to install Arch linux on.  I can get it to show accurately if the ethernet cable is plugged in, but it can't get an IP address from DHCP, and I get a no route to host when I set it manually and try to ping my router.  I've tried buying a new ethernet card, same issue (and also tried disabling the onboard one in the BIOS in case it was causing a conflict or something), and have tried a number of different Linux distros, ranging from install CDs in 2006 to downloaded a few days ago, same thing.  I also tried hooking up another router that I know works with other Linux systems to my new computer, same issue.

When I took it back to the store that I bought it from, they plugged in a USB install of Windows, and that connected just fine.

Where do I go from here in terms of troubleshooting?  I can copy error messages by hand if needed, but obviously I can't copy and paste from this machine.

#2 2015-02-22 16:20:37

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Can't get a network connection on my new computer

You should tell us what kind of hardware the machine has.   I wonder if there are multiple NICs.  What is the output of lspci -nn    ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-02-22 16:29:47

mcloaked

Re: Can't get a network connection on my new computer

In addition to the output of the lspci command can you post the set of commands that you used when you "set it manually"?   Also what is the output of

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and

ip ro sho

What is the address of your router on your local network? Are you using dhcpcd? Network Manager? When you tried to ping your router was that by name or its ip address? More information about what is running regarding networking would help in diagnosing what the issue is.

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-02-22 16:31:30)

Mike C

Board footer