You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-23 19:15:39

Skatman88

New Installation Questions

Hi all,

Newbie here after a bit of advice. I've recently been running a Plex server from Manjaro Linux and I've decided that I want to start again using Arch because I want my server to do other things and the current set up isn't secure enough IMO.

I'm a Windows native so please excuse me if some of my terminology is a bit "Windowsy" and feel free to correct me on what I'm saying because I'm really trying to find out if what I want is possible and what it's named in Linux, more specifically Arch.

Ok, with that out of the way, this is what I want to achieve.

SDA1 holds /home for my administration user account which can only be used locally or via an SSH connection from a specific device. SDA1 is going to hold Snort, and the OS only. I only want this one account to be able to do anything on this partition, however it can access the other partitions at the start (just to install software etc.) then I'll remove it's capability for this. SDA2 is going to be a Plex media server with a different account, this account can only access this partition and work on the Plex side of things. SDA3 is going to be a LAMP/FTP server. The FTP server will be set up to allow download only. SDA4 is an Encrypted upload partition, again, with a separate account. The upload partition will be an FTP/SSH server that allows remote users to upload data. Upon connection, an instance of Cuckoo Sandbox or similar sandbox is launched, and the uploaded item placed. This will allow me to investigate uploaded content - especially from unknown device addresses. I want this drive to be compromised really which is why I want it encrypted (my knowledge is that an encrypted partition should help to contain malware - kind of similar to how reverse tunneling works) - please tell me if this is incorrect. SDA5 is going to be the data partition where all my films, music, etc. are stored. This will need be accessed by the SDA1, SDA2, and SDA3 user accounts. SDA 2+3 will be read and execute only, SDA1 will be used to move items from SDA4 to SDA5 once assessed.

Snort will be used to monitor traffic and block attempted upload traffic to anything but SDA 4 (other than to connect to the device - will have to figure out signatures for this, perhaps based on data volume from a specific connection). It will be configured to push alerts to a log management server which will also be collecting logs from the device in question (and correlating them using an SIEM).

I have a drawing which I would like to upload and will provide a better idea of what I want (picture paints a thousand words), but no idea how to? Will I need to use something like Fickr?

Do you think that this is possible? If so, do you think that this is the best way of doing what I want to achieve? Would the use of VM's be a better solution?

Kind Regards,

Skat

#2 2015-02-23 22:22:11

teateawhy
Website

Re: New Installation Questions

Whatever complex setup you want to build, make a simple arch installation without any extras first. When you have familiarized yourself with arch you can add more complex features incrementally. Debugging is much easier when adding only one feature at a time, instead of everything at once.

#3 2015-02-24 09:27:06

Skatman88

I will do it that way, however I need to know right from the start if what I want is possible. I wont go and install everything, but my experience in Linux is that you cannot shrink partitions once they have already been installed. For this reason, amongst others, it is absolutely vital that I plan it correctly now.

#4 2015-02-24 19:49:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Skatman88 wrote:

my experience in Linux is that you cannot shrink partitions once they have already been installed.

I've done that a few times -- it takes ages (and the partition must be un-mounted) but it can be done.

#5 2015-02-24 20:54:47

Skatman88

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Skatman88 wrote:

my experience in Linux is that you cannot shrink partitions once they have already been installed.

I've done that a few times -- it takes ages (and the partition must be un-mounted) but it can be done.

No idea how you would achieve this. In any case, surely it's better to plan from the start what sizes you want your partitions?

#6 2015-02-24 20:57:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Skatman88 wrote:

No idea how you would achieve this. In any case, surely it's better to plan from the start what sizes you want your partitions?

I "cheated" and used gparted -- it was to clear space for my new Debian system.

#7 2015-02-25 00:11:48

Buddlespit

Everything you want to do is doable. I suggest reading up on it. Study time! My server does all you want to do (and some), but with only 3 disks. And I'm using the third disk because it's a 2TB disk that holds all of my media

#8 2015-02-25 01:19:14

Skatman88

Buddlespit wrote:

Everything you want to do is doable. I suggest reading up on it. Study time! My server does all you want to do (and some), but with only 3 disks. And I'm using the third disk because it's a 2TB disk that holds all of my media

Awesome! Cheers, that's just what I wanted to hear. Do you have any advice? The area I'm most concerned about is stopping intrusion from actually damaging my media. I know I said I wanted it to be compromised, but mainly just the upload partition. Will encrypting the partition make a difference? Would you recommend virtualising the drive for extra isolation?

I'm also struggling to install /boot at the moment. It keeps saying that /boot does not appear to be a .efi file, which it's not according to "parted /dev/sda print". Apparently it's in MSDOS, but I've recently had Manjaro installed and specified that it should be vfat for the boot and when using the prior command it says ext4? Not sure what's going on with it.

#9 2015-02-25 07:41:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Skatman88 wrote:

I'm also struggling to install /boot at the moment. It keeps saying that /boot does not appear to be a .efi file, which it's not according to "parted /dev/sda print". Apparently it's in MSDOS, but I've recently had Manjaro installed and specified that it should be vfat for the boot and when using the prior command it says ext4? Not sure what's going on with it.

Please post the exact error messages rather than your interpretation of them.

What are the exact commands you have used -- "install /boot" is meaningless.

Post the output of:

# parted -l
lsblk -f

#10 2015-02-25 10:05:35

Skatman88

Ok. When I type:

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub_uefi --recheck

I get this error:

Installing for x86_643-efi platform
grub-install: error: /boot doesn't look like and EFI partition.

parted -l gives this output:

Model: ATA WDC WD500BPKT-8 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number          Start          End          Size          Type          File System          Flags
1                   1049kB      268MB      267MB      primary       fat32                    boot
2                   268MB       50.3GB     50.0GB     primary       ext4
3                   50.3GB      750GB      700GB      primary        ext 4

lsblk -f gives this output:

Name                       FSType              Label                  UUID                                                                  Mountpoint
sda
|-SDA1                      vfat                                            0c67-A22d
|-SDA2                      ext4                                           2be91b61-a90b-4047-887d-f8d710ec6d79
|-SDA3                      ext4                                           336df331-ef47-4905-818a-d5b3931301db

Last edited by Skatman88 (2015-02-25 12:30:11)

#11 2015-02-25 12:00:35

teateawhy
Website

It is recommended to use GPT instead of msdos partition tables for UEFI. Your disk is currently in msdos format.
In the first command $esp is a variable. Have you set the variable to something meaningful?

#12 2015-02-25 12:31:25

Skatman88

teateawhy wrote:

It is recommended to use GPT instead of msdos partition tables for UEFI. Your disk is currently in msdos format.
In the first command $esp is a variable. Have you set the variable to something meaningful?

Apologies, I've amended it now. It's set to /boot. How do I change it to GPT?

#13 2015-02-25 16:41:40

Skatman88

Well, after playing with it for most of today, I'm still no further. However, I have managed to repartition the HDD using gdisk and now "parted -l" presents the following information:

Number            Start            End            Size            File System           Name                          Flags
1                     1049kB        2097kB       1049kB        fat32                     /boot                           boot, esp
2                     2097kB        1076MB      1074MB                                   OS

When doing lsblk -f

it shoes :

Name                       FSTYPE                 LABEL                  UUID                                               MOUNTPOINT
SDA
SDA1                       vfat                                                    0C67-A22D
SDA2
SDA3
SDA4
SDA5
SDA6

Do you think it could be that it's not been mounted?

#14 2015-02-25 21:10:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Skatman88 wrote:

Do you think it could be that it's not been mounted?

Yup.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … partitions

#15 2015-02-26 22:27:31

Skatman88

Ok, well. I'm now in a far better position than I was so I'm pretty happy at the moment. Before I go any further though I was hoping for some advice. I want all of my data to be stored on a separate partition: /data. No problem with that part. The Part I'm having trouble with is that I want my Plex Media Server, Web Server, and Honeypot running on separate partitions. I've formatted them how I want:

SDA7 is my MediaCentre, formatted in XFS, I'd like this mounted as a separate partition and I'd like this to be the location of the Plex Media Server.
SDA8 is my WebServer, formatted in ext4. I'd also like this mounted as a separate partition and be the location of my Web Server (Probs use LAMP and an FTP Download Client).
SDA9 is my Honeypot server, formatted in XFS. Again, I'd like this to be mounted on a separate partition and will be where my Honeypot Server lives.

I'd also like all three servers to be running on VM's to help isolate them.

How do I go about accomplishing this? As stated, I'm a Windows native. In Windows I'd have partitioned everything, Created the virtual machines, moved them to their respective partitions, then installed all of the applications.

First things first, how/what do I mount these drives as? Can I just mount them as /mnt/mediaserver and /mnt/webserver etc? Will these mount points then be recognised?

#16 2015-02-26 22:43:00

progandy

If you want to run virtual machines, then you could manage them e.g. with qemu-kvm or libvirt. It should be easy to use a physical partition as storage with something like "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -hda /dev/sda7". In this case, please do not mount sda7 in your host system.

If you want to run without VMs, then simply mount everything in your arch system and use user/group permissions to separate file access for the different servers.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#17 2015-02-26 22:49:57

Skatman88

I think I understand what you mean. Are you saying mount the VM to the partition instead of mounting the partition to the host? I think that would solve a lot of my problems. The reason why I'm looking at using VM's is because the Honeypot is also going to be an "upload" partition. I'm going to use it for friends to upload films/tv series which I can then move across to my data partition. However another purpose is that I want malicious users to try and exploit it by uploading malware. So the main use of the VM was to aid containment of the Honeypot.

#18 2015-02-26 23:56:16

progandy

Skatman88 wrote:

I think I understand what you mean. Are you saying mount the VM to the partition instead of mounting the partition to the host? I think that would solve a lot of my problems.

Exactly. Let the VM read/write to the raw partition and only mount it inside of the VM. I'm not totally sure how the specific virtualizers manage such a setup. Some might use the partition and add the partition as part in a virtual disk, others might simply treat the partition as the disk and create another partition table on it. Here are some other ways to use a real partition with qemu.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QE … disk_image

Last edited by progandy (2015-02-26 23:57:30)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#19 2015-02-28 16:22:52

Skatman88

Awesome. Cheers for that. Would you say that is a more "secure" way of setting it up, or would you say mounting the partition to the base OS, then installing the VM on top of it is more secure?

Also, struggling with another stage of my installation. All my partitions are now mounted, formatted and I'm happy with them (except for the ones spoken about above which will be mounted at a later date).

I'm at the "install the base packages" of this guide. When entering the pacstrap /mnt base command I receive this error message:

error: config parsing exceeded max recursion depth of 10.
==> ERROR: Failed to install packages to new root.

Google hasn't really helped me out with this one. Any ideas?

#20 2015-03-03 20:20:09

Skatman88

Any ideas guys? Still struggling with this.

#21 2015-03-03 20:32:27

nullified

You've done quite a bit since this thread began, so start with the basics again. What's the output of

lsblk

before you try to run pacstrap?

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#22 2015-03-05 12:11:57

Skatman88

lsblk -f returns:

Please note that the * are actually filled in with UUID, I'm just being lazy and can't be bothered to type them out.

Name                  FSTYPE                  UUID                   MOUNTPOINT
sda
sda1
sda2                  ext4                    *                      /mnt/boot
sda3                  ext4                    *                      /mnt
sda4                  ext4                    *                      /mnt/var
sda5                  swap                    *                      
sda6                  ext4                    *                      /mnt/home
sda7                  xfs                     *
sda8                  ext4                    *                      
sda9                  xfs                     *                      
sda10                 xfs                     *                      /mnt/data

lsblk returns:

NAME                               MAJ:MIN            RM           SIZE              RO              TYPE                      MOUNTPOINT
sda                                        8:0                 0             698.7G              0               disk
sda1                                      8:1                 0                1M                 0                part
sda2                                      8:2                 0                300M              0               part                              /mnt/boot
sda3                                      8:3                 0               50G                0                 part                             /mnt
sda4                                      8:4                 0               15G                0                part                              /mnt/var
sda5                                      8:5                 0                5G                 0                part                              
sda6                                      8:6                 0               130G               0                part                             /mnt/home
sda7                                      8:7                 0                50G               0                 part
sda8                                      8:8                 0                50G               0                 part
sda9                                      8:9                 0                100G             0                 part
sda10                                    8:10               0                298.4G           0                part                              /mnt/data

#23 2015-03-05 20:42:42

Skatman88

Any help?

#24 2015-03-05 20:47:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Why has your /boot changed from sda1 and FAT-formatted (post #10) to sda2 and ext4 formatted?

I think you should follow the Beginner's Guide instead and go through it slowly and carefully from the start.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide

#25 2015-03-05 20:53:21

Skatman88

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Why has your /boot changed from sda1 and FAT-formatted (post #10) to sda2 and ext4 formatted?

I think you should follow the Beginner's Guide instead and go through it slowly and carefully from the start.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide

Because I re-started and reformatted the drive but following the beginners guide. I have been following the beginner guide, but I'm stuck on this part here. The problem I was having earlier was that for some reason GRUB wouldn't install onto the drive specified, which I think was to do with me having a BIOS as opposed to UEFI. Now I've sorted that part and here I am.

Board footer